ZFS RAID 0 with one disk

felipe

Oct 28, 2013
Hi,

i would like to use the new zfs repliaction feature in the future. So i want to install ZFS instead of ext4. As we have Proliants with hardare Rais controllers i would like to use their cache. Can i install ZFS with RAID= with only 1 Disk? Does it make sense?

Thank you

Hi,

i would like to use the new zfs repliaction feature in the future. So i want to install ZFS instead of ext4. As we have Proliants with hardare Rais controllers i would like to use their cache. Can i install ZFS with RAID= with only 1 Disk? Does it make sense?

Thank you

We run ZFS ontop of hardware raid for compression and it works. Somthing like the below command should get you going.

zpool create -f nameofpool /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-1IET_0001000a -m /nameofmount

OK. but in the GUI in proxmox5 its no clear what to use when setting up a new server

Does it make sense

It is wrong. zfs must need to operate directly with the storage disk. Many optimization are used by zfs, and then are sent to the backend disks. The raid controller wil say ... ok I have some date in the cache, so I can lie, and say ... ok Mr zfs, your data was written to disk.
In the next second the power supply is broken. So you replace the power supply, and surprize .... zfs is broken. Even more, zfs write on disk several bloks that are part at the same transaction (like data base transaction). Many raid controllers will ignore this transactions because it can known this information. So this is another point of fail for a raid controller.

Many hw controllers write some info to the disk (like a mark sign = this disk is owned by ... any another must not try to use it because this is what I want). In some situation you will be forced to remove this hdd from this server/controller and to put in another server. Again, in most of the case zfs wil be unusabe ...

In conclusion it is working zfs on top of raid0, most of the time. But in day, you can be unlucky.

It is wrong. zfs must need to operate directly with the storage disk. Many optimization are used by zfs, and then are sent to the backend disks.
Yes. This is on of the most important things!!! HW-Raid and ZFS is like "Cat's and Dog". At some point the cat scratches you :eek:

Yes. This is on of the most important things!!! HW-Raid and ZFS is like "Cat's and Dog". At some point the cat scratches you :eek:

Good morning, I'm intruding into the discussion because I had the same doubt installing a new server. The machine is a Dell R750XS server with PERC H755 controller. Many 900 gb SSD disks, I made a raid 1 controller to manage any disk changes and recovery of the raid volume in case of failure. From what I see it is not convenient to use ZFS . Do you recommend formatting the proxmox volume with xfs ? could i have problems? Alternatively , if I manage the disks in RAID 1 with ZFS ( RAID 1 ) in case there is a failure can I hot - extract them to change the physical ? How does PROXMOX raid rebuild?

If you have an Raidcontroller, then use it with your Dell Server. Build your Raid1 with DELL BIOS. If you can change the mode of the controller to HBA, you can also use ZFS. But ZFS only makes sense if you also want to use the features.

Many 900 gb SSD disks, I made a raid 1 controller to manage any disk changes and recovery of the raid volume in case of failure. From what I see it is not convenient to use ZFS . Do you recommend formatting the proxmox volume with xfs ? could i have problems? Alternatively , if I manage the disks in RAID 1 with ZFS ( RAID 1 ) in case there is a failure can I hot - extract them to change the physical ? How does PROXMOX raid rebuild?
A few things.

- H755 can run in JBOD mode, or even mixed mode (raid for some, jbod for others.)
- The boot volume should be separate from your payload volume. you can and should run the boot volume with 2 drives- either as a raidz1 or hw raid- ext4 will serve fine if you prefer the hardware raid method.
- hardware raid + lvm will be likely faster then a zfs pool, but you lose out on the embedded functionality that comes with ZFS (compression, snapshots, embedded filesystem checksum correction, etc.)

A few things.

- H755 can run in JBOD mode, or even mixed mode (raid for some, jbod for others.)
- The boot volume should be separate from your payload volume. you can and should run the boot volume with 2 drives- either as a raidz1 or hw raid- ext4 will serve fine if you prefer the hardware raid method.
- hardware raid + lvm will be likely faster then a zfs pool, but you lose out on the embedded functionality that comes with ZFS (compression, snapshots, embedded filesystem checksum correction, etc.)
I installed the server putting a hardware raid 1, and xfs file system. In the sererf I will have linux and windows 10 / 11 machines, for linux machines can I make xfs or exet4 file systems?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!