ZFS pool "gets lost" when server is unplugged from power

simi

Dec 29, 2019
Hi all,
I am having a strange problem. Whenever my server loses power (either power loss or the power socket is switched off) a zpool "disappears" or is not mounted/imported in Proxmox on the next reboot and I have to import it manually via CLI (zpool import ...). When I shutdown the server without switching the power socket off the zpool is available on the next reboot.

I created the respective zpool on a SSD but did not add it to Proxmox as storage. Instead it is a bindmount to a Turnkey file server (as LXC).

What do I have to do to make the zpool import survive a power loss?

Thanks for your assistance :)

After you zpool import it, does it show up in zdb -C? Anything relevant in the logs (e.g. journalctl -u 'zfs*')? Maybe also look at zpool get cachefile to see if anything's funky.

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for your reply. Everything is going well so far. I tried to reproduce the error by unplugging the power cord and waiting for a couple of minutes / hours, but everything seems to work for now and all zpools have been mounted correctly. The logs are also looking good. I will revert once the issue will occur again.

Reactions: Stefan_R

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!