ZFS Pool - extend with two additional SSDs

Feb 19, 2019
Hi community,

I installed a ProxmoxNode on ZFS. I created a pool (rpool) mirror with two SSDs (sda, sdc).
The VMs are running on partition sda3 on the mirror. Now i ran out of space on my VM and installed two more SSDs.
I created on the existing rpool a second mirror (sdb, sdc):
1575319842477.png

The VM that I want to expand is vm-109 on rpool/data that is on sda3:
1575320082530.png

How can I tell the system to expand rpool/data over the second mirror?
Perhaps it's easy, but after a whole day of configuring I don't see the solution.

Appreciating your help

Greetings from München
Ramper

there's no such thing as expanding datasets to cover certain vdevs (ZFS will automatically start using the new pool configuration after adding disks).

you just need to to resize your zvol, and then do the appropriate steps within the VM. the PVE side can be done with "qm resize" or "Resize Disk" on the web interface, the part inside the VM depends on which operating system/partitioning scheme/file system is in use. it's always a good idea to make backups before such operations!

Hi,

Take in account that only new data who is write in the pool will be using all of your ssd(unballace pool). Your old data will stay on your old mirror. If I have your problem I will copy the entire pool on other system and I will reinstall pmx using all 4 ssd and then restore the vm.

Good luck!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!