ZFS over iSCSI with Multipath

dups

Renowned Member
Jun 8, 2011
Hello! We are working on a new implementation and the hardware we have is a good setup for trying to utilize multipath. I was reading over the wiki regarding ZFS over iSCSI and saw a note that multipath specifically wouldn't work (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage:_ZFS_over_iSCSI). I was wanting to find out what the issue is that would prevent this from working. From what I can tell, Proxmox connects to the ZFS host and provisions a ZVol and then exports it over iSCSI. The Proxmox host then gets a block device on the other side as a result of the iSCSI LUN presented to it. I would think multipath being in there wouldn't change a thing in whether or not this works but I wanted to understand better the impact.

Also, along these same lines, is all of the information on that page considered current? I know it was last updated earlier this year but there are references to things that are much older as well (such as a plugin for OpenMediaVault) and it made me wonder if a lot of the content might be out of date.

Thanks for any insight, help, or advice on the subject!

The documentation in the wiki is more or less up to date. The primary reason for writing that multipath is not supported is due to the fact that it has never been tested since nobody involved in the code has access to a zfs storage with multipath so if you have perl skills, time, and motivation to try to see if it is possible to extend the plugin so that it supports multipath it would be great.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!