[SOLVED] ZFS on NVME for Containers

May 18, 2019
Varies
I have 32GB of RAM and 12 Xeon cores. All the containers I will launch will be the same version of Ubuntu. On top of that, some of the containers will be running identical applications with nearly identical data.

Because of deduplication, I think I could squeeze a lot more data onto the local NVME drive where the containers will reside if I use ZFS.

A) Is this assumption correct?

B) I can't afford to slow down the NVME disk by more than 10% just to get more "space" out of it. Is there a disk IO performance hit when there is plenty of CPU and I can add as much RAM as needed?

C) Is the ZFS cache by default turned on and using the same drive and the ZFS pool, so that I do not need to worry about cache config?

PS: This disk is the only ZFS in the system. The rest is either standard ext4 (root) and LVM (/mnt/backups)

please be careful with enabling deduplication on ZFS - it needs quite a bit of memory (and 32G are not too much to start with for ZFS)
see https://www.solaris-cookbook.eu/lin...ation-useful-data-much-memory-need-zfs-dedup/
and https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/4ex708/does_it_make_sense_to_use_both_dedup_and/

C) Is the ZFS cache by default turned on and using the same drive and the ZFS pool, so that I do not need to worry about cache config?
ZFS caching system is quite complex:
* it has the in_memory ARC (which by default can use up to 50% of your RAM)
* it can optionally be supplanted by a l2arc (a.k.a. cache) device (usually something much faster than the regular disks) - keep in mind that l2 arc also needs to keep its metadata in memory (ARC)

hope this explains the situation a bit!

Reactions: Proxygen
I have about 4 instances of 99% identical 25GB and two instances of 99% identical 20 GB. On both the avg file size is 2 to 4MB.

Common wisdom says to expect 1GB per TB of deduplicated disk.

I will bump it up to 96GB once I try to deploy all 6 datasets on ZFS, but I found ZFS using 6 to 8GB with just two 99% identical instances of 20GB...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!