ZFS FAULTED - but smartcheck ok, so what is to do?

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Hello all,

i use here PVE6.1. For some day one Pool on one of my servers go in "faulted" state.
Code:
pool: v-machines
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors.
        Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
        degraded state.
action: Replace the faulted device, or use 'zpool clear' to mark the device
        repaired.
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 0 days 05:29:54 with 0 errors on Sun Dec  8 05:53:58 2019
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        v-machines                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD20EARX-00ZUDB0_WD-WCC1H0343538    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD20EARX-00ZUDB0_WD-WCC1H0369015    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD20EZRX-32D8PB0_WD-WCC4N7UHY6VC    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD20EZRX-32SPEB0_WD-WCC4E7NTND7L    ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1-1                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD20EURS-63S48Y0_WD-WMAZA9381012    FAULTED     16   167     0  too many errors
            ata-WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WMAZA2270223    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD2000F9YZ-09N20L1_WD-WCC1P1090743  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD2000F9YZ-09N20L1_WD-WMC1P0382195  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
So i've done an extended smartcheck. But this check is ok.
Code:
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     51222         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     30142         -

I also had this but with ZFS on USB Driver as Backup on 6.1 . I heard that USB is not reliable as SATA or SAS on connection.

Hi,

A successful smartd test is not a guarantee that your disk is ok. Also zfs errors can be a result of bad hardware (sata cables, psu, ram). Try to change the sata port for the faulty hdd with another good hdd sata port.

Good luck / Bafta

Last edited:
Reactions: fireon
I'd also monitor 'zpool iostat -lvy 10' when the system is under I/O load, to see whether that disk is noticeably slower than the others.. and think about ordering a replacement disk ;)

Reactions: fireon and guletz
Hi,

For any WD that I had have, I never see any problems in smartd even in cases where obviously that hdd it was almost broken, with only one exception wd raptor

I also see some cases using seagate when a small numbers of blocks(like in your case) was unreadable but after a week or so they have been replaced with good blocks from the hdd reserves blocks (mostly for new hdd in my intial tests)

And the last case was on a 1 year old system, without any problem who start to show some few scrub errors. In this case the problem was a faulty sata cable (and starting from this incident I use only sata cables with metalic clips). For this reason, one time/year I clean up this contacts with alcohol (cable part, hdd and sata MB ports)! In my country/town is a lot of humidity like in your country :)

Good luck / Bafta!

No SATAcables are used. 2 LSI HBA controllers with SAS cables on backplane. Next scrub will be interesting.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!