ZFS Available Space Confusion

Undexter

Mar 19, 2021
Hi, new to the boards and am finally joining after getting thoroughly stuck with my homelab build. Been researching this for a couple of days now, and I keep finding partial answers, but never exactly what (I think) I'm after. I am trying to understand why I am losing 55% from a host ZFS pool when assigning it to a VM. Here's a breakdown of what I'm seeing.

I have 5 x 1.2 TB drives unused on the host:

1616122647815.png

I create a ZFS pool (RAIDZ2, compression = lz4, ashift = 12) which reads as 5.45 TiB:

1616122711709.png

The Storage summary page shows 3.13 TiB:

1616122842582.png

This all totally makes sense so far, based on the ZFS calculator I used. I get that you lose space to parity, slop, etc.

1616123085378.png

But when I go to add 3205 GiB to my VM (which displays 3.13 TiB) available, it throws an out of space error:

1616123470710.png

Through trial and error, I found that I could only use 1769 GiB, 55% less than what is shown to be available. And the Storage summary screen now shows 99.97% usage.
So yeah, I'm super confused and assuming there's just something fundamental with how Proxmox handles ZFS storage I'm not grasping. Sorry if this has been addressed before, and thanks in advance for any help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!