ZFS-98% storage full!

hrvojeks

Jan 27, 2024
I'm a complete newbie to Proxmox. Let me go straight to the problem I have, or at least I think it is a problem. I have one storage in Proxmox which is ZFS size 1TB. I have two virtual machines on it that I assigned 300GB each. Proxmox shows me that the ZFS storage is 98% full. How is that possible? Is this alarming or should I not worry because I read that ZFS is very fragmented. In the shell "ZPOOL LIST" shows me that I have almost 600GB of free space. Now I'm confused, is the occupancy what Proxmox shows (98%) or what "zpool list" shows (41%)? I know this is a beginner's question, but I have to start somewhere :)
1709112574481.png
1709112632699.png
1709112662041.png

Last edited:
It seems your storage isn't thin provisioned.
To prove that click on Datacenter on the left side, Storage in the middle and then double click on SSD on the right side.

Reactions: Kingneutron
To get your disk space back you have to move your data to another storage...
And don't forget to activate Thin provision!

Thanks for your help. Does this mean that the space is really 98% filled with data? I see an increase of about 5GB per day, which means that Proxmox will show me 100% occupancy. Is there any way to at least partially free up space without transferring data to another storage? What is actually filling the space when realistically the size of all VMs is not even close to 98%?

You created a disk for VM103 with 715GB. Without Thin it allocated 715GB. It's just using 303GB but it takes the full size on your disk.
Same for VM107. 100GB created, in use almost 39GB, but on disk it allocated 100GB.
Without moving to another storage you only can do a backup, remove those 2 VMs, activate Thin Provision and restore both VMs.
Not necessary for your LXCs btw.

I don't understand, Proxmox shows this data(400GB) on the web interface and another (715GB) in the shell??1709116945115.png

Thanks everyone. I met Proxmox for the first time and the space problem was urgent. I just need to click and read a little and now I see that the problem can be solved relatively quickly in several ways

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!