1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zero Downtime NFS snapshots?

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by gbr, May 14, 2012.

1. gbr

gbr Member

Hi,

We currently run Citrix XenServer as our virtualization platform. After running for a few years on iSCSI, we switched to NFS (flakey iSCSI hardware and snapshots).

One thing XenServer does is zero downtime NFS snapshots, using a copy-on-write system. When the snapshot is removed, it 'coalesces' the original file and the new cow file.

Are there plans to implement a zero downtime NFS snapshot solution for Proxmox? Or better yet, a GlusterFS one?

Gerald

2. gbr

gbr Member

Would it be possible to integrate hcp http://wiki.r1soft.com/display/LTR1D/hcp with NFS backups? With it, it should be possible to do zero downtime NFS snapshots.

My problem is I don't know how Proxmox does snapshots, so if someone can point me in the right direction...

Gerald

3. tom

tom Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

4. gbr

gbr Member

Thanks! Not sure how I missed that...

5. gbr

gbr Member

Now that I think about it, hcp doesn't solve my zero downtime snapshots, since my VM's are on an NFS server.

Citrix XenServer does zero downtime NFS snapshots, and I REALLY got used to them.