xenmigrate: merge disks

Alessandro 123

May 22, 2016
Hi to all
I'm trying to convert some XVA to raw images with xenmigrate.
Some questions:

1) is possible to create a single image from multipe disk images? Our XVA has many "Ref:", probably one for each partition. I would like to create a single img file with all partitions inside

2) after converting to IMG, should I use qemu-img to convert from IMG to QCOW2 ?

Thanks

Hello Alessandro,

I'm trying to convert some XVA to raw images with xenmigrate.
Some questions:

1) is possible to create a single image from multipe disk images? Our XVA has many "Ref:", probably one for each partition. I would like to create a single img file with all partitions inside

In case of Proxmox you have 1 disk = 1 file

See some hints also at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Xenmigrate

2) after converting to IMG, should I use qemu-img to convert from IMG to QCOW2 ?

Not necessarily - the created IMG is format "raw" which is faster but consumes more diskspace and does not offer linked clones and/or snapshots. Decide up to your needs.

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

with ZFS, each disk of a VM is one zvol, and each mountpoint of a container is one regular ZFS dataset

Perfect. So, how can I migrate from a VM with raw images (stored somewhere on ZFS) to a native VM with zvol ?

Perfect. So, how can I migrate from a VM with raw images (stored somewhere on ZFS) to a native VM with zvol ?

you can use the "move disk" feature to copy the data from storage A to storage B, including a change of format.

Even if the vm is stored on the same zfs?
Is possible to migrate from file to volume by using the same zfs vdev?

Even if the vm is stored on the same zfs?
Is possible to migrate from file to volume by using the same zfs vdev?

yes, the source needs to be configured as directory storage, the target as ZFSPool storage. I recommend using different datasets (they can be on the same pool) and only deleting the source files when you are absolutely sure that everything is correct. you can also do it manually with "pvesm alloc" and "qemu-img convert", in which case the VM needs to be offline and the source can be an arbitrary raw image file wherever (no need to configure a storage).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!