Write priv for specific folder to PVERole

ancestralelf

Mar 10, 2023
Hello there!

After some days of googling and reading discussions I could not find anything to solve my issue, starting to doubt I might have used wrong terminology to search (not unlikely) I decided to ask in a specific thread.
Apologies in advance if this is a duplicate, wrong subforum or if I didn't understand some core design patterns for which my question is totally pointless.

I have a cluster and one node of this cluster can be accessed by a user in the PVE realm with specific permissions to certain VMs residing there. I achieved this by granting the most granular privileges possible (to my knowledge) by creating a custom role with following perms:
Code:
VM.Config.Options, VM.Console, VM.Config.Network, VM.Audit, VM.Snapshot, VM.Allocate, VM.Clone, VM.Monitor, VM.PowerMgmt

This user, among other operations, should be able to perform memory dumps of the specific VMs and save it somewhere locally on the VM using Proxmox python API wrapper (proxmoxer(not so latest version)). In order to do this, I found 2 VM.Monitor commands that might do the trick dump-guest-memory and memsave, but both need a path to save the file which would require Sys.Admin privilege which I would gladly avoid. The final goal would be to have the memdump on the VM filesystem from which the code executed.

To workaround the 403 issue, I created a new storage Directory in the Datacenter, exclusive to the node and pointed to a folder in /opt/. Then I gave my user permission on this new storage but the problem still persists. I am starting to think this user resides in the wrong realm and doubting about the feasibility of what I want to do from the PVE realm. I am fine to store the memdumps somewhere on the VM from which the APIs execute the monitor commands but I am at a loss on how to do that without passing through the host filesystem on which I can't chown/chmod since the target user is not PAM.

edit: I would also like to avoid duplicating the user in the PAM realm for security reasons

I tried to be as clear as I can but I'm still in a learning phase and not a native speaker so please be understanding.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
UPDATE: If I would grant Sys.Modify to the user, would it have permissions to the whole node filesystem or just the storage drives to which I assigned the privilege?
Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!