Would you suggest to use NFS over ISCSI or the other way around?

jva1601

Oct 19, 2010
Hello,

I have had good luck using NFS when I was using VMware ESXi. Now that I have Proxmox VE 1.9 installed I want to also use NFS. My current kernel version is 2.6.32-6-pve. My NAS storage is an Synology DS1511+. This NAS is capable of doing NFS & ISCSI.

The box I am currently using is only meant for my LAB use while I am waiting for the ARECA card I ordered. Below are the pveperf results

pveperf
CPU BOGOMIPS: 9643.85
REGEX/SECOND: 432199
HD SIZE: 94.49 GB (/dev/mapper/pve-root)
BUFFERED READS: 139.87 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 10.76 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 43.66
DNS EXT: 302.21 ms
DNS INT: 2002.89 ms (sample.net)

Thank you!

but you cannot do snapshot backups if you go for nfs as disk image storage.

but you cannot do snapshot backups if you go for nfs as disk image storage.

Bump,

I'm interested about the same setup, right now we use 4 nodes and all VMs are located on each node's local filesystem. I have a budget of 20,000$ to expand our setup and I would like to move ALL vm's on a NAS or SAN. In bref, I what CPU/RAM processing by the nodes and external storage for all nodes with live migration and VM backups.

Actually, all nodes are Dual Intel X5670, 48GB DDR and 4x300GB SCSI RAID 10, dual GiGE Network.

What would be the best way and hardware requirement with Proxmox to go that way with the budget we have ? Considering that we have to replace our current Cisco switch with a 24 ports GiGE.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!