WOL or MQTT Wakeup/Stop Backup server

iverlaek

Jan 10, 2020
To avoid being easily hacked and to save power, my backup storage device should power on and shut down by the Proxmox backup scripts.

It would be great if the backup script on Proxmox could power on and off external devices.
Best to do via WOL (Wakeup On Lan) and/or MQTT/TASMOTA.

Simply turn the system on before a job starts and shut the system gracefully down when it's finished.

I have it kinda working, but i'm never sure when the backup job is finished. Therefore I don't know when it's safe to power off so I need to leave the system running longer as necessary which is not very environmental friendly.

I have 2 synology NAS systems that power up when needed and they shut down after a fixed amount of hours, giving the Proxmox backup process enough time to do it's job. These are on a built in timer of the Synology OS. Effectively they turn on and off the power switch.

A third backup target is my PM Backup server. This system usually is off (to save power, noise and to avoid hacking). It's turned on via an external timer on the IOT device (Sonoff: POW R2) running TASMOTA. The IOT device has a Timer, similar as the Synology device. At a specified time it powers on 5 minutes prior to the start of the PM backup job. That's enough time for BIOS to post and to wake up the disks.

PM creates the backups. Then the cronjob running on the PM Backup server stops the system at a predefined time.
The IOT Device ahs power monitoring, so when a power drop is detected, a Tasmota rule activates and power is shut off. This ensures all other devices connected to that system (mouse, USB, monitor etc) are turned off also. This includes the network switch so the system cannot be detected by an intruder easily.

Hi iverlaek,

I want to do exactly the same. (But with adition that my (synology) NAS turns on if openmediavault is opend)

I dont know how and where to start this project since I am pretty new to all of this (I followed along some video content to set up my proxmox/ApacheAirflow and Nextcloiud...) so it would be great if I could dive deeper into how server is working but I just dont know where to start and what I have to search for to get information on such things.

Kind regards, Felix

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!