Windows XP as KVM guest

cmpyutr

Sep 18, 2011
How can I install Windows XP as a guest? I have tried installing with my Windows XP CD in my cd-rom, but when I click on start, and then console, and the XP CD cannot be read.

Thank you, Tom.
I am able to use iso image, but not cd-rom, because my dvd drive is not recognized. How do I add support for my dvd drive? I have my proxmox server with a dvd drive, and I have my windows computer where I use IE8 to access my proxmox server. I am inserting my XP cd in my windows computer, and that is when my guest installation does not continue because it does not recognize my windows computer dvd-rom. Thank you.

you cannot use the dvd from your desktop, you can only use a physical cd-rom from your Proxmox VE host.

Okay, good. Thank you, Tom. I am now using my CD disk in my Proxmox VE host. However, it appears Proxmox cannot read it. I put my CD disk in Proxmox VE host cd-rom drive. On my desktop, with web interface, I create my XP guest, I start it, then I click on console. I see "Press F12 for boot menu." I press F12. I select option 4. DVD/CD [ata1-0: QEMU DVD-ROM ATAPI-4 DVD/CD].

Next I see:

Booting from DVD/CD...
409MB medium detected
Boot failed: Could not read from CDROM (code 0004)
No bootable device.

I am unable to continue.

But, if I logon to Proxmox VE host, as root, and mount /dev/sr0 -t iso9660 -r /cdrom
I can ls /cdrom, all is well.

Please help. Thank you.

Hi,

It's generally easier and more convenient to create an ISO of the CD then use that.

Most CD burner software will let you create an image of a CD, just tell it to make it ISO, or there's free ISO Creator software available.

You can then copy this up to your PM Server (See the ISO section under VM Manager).

Now you just mount that & boot away.

This also means that you can mount that ISO whenever you need to to whichever system you need to read it & you can have as many CD (ISO's) on your server as you need.

Cheers
Stu

just go to the hardware tab and select cdrom. no f12 needed.

Sorry, gentlemen, but I still need your help.

Please see http://flicker.com/photos/cmpyutr for screen shots.

When I try to install xp as a kvm guest, and I select cd-rom as my media, I get 1.jpg in the console. Proxmox cannot read my cd-rom.

When I select iso as my media, it works good for awhile. see 2.jpg.

But windows setup requires me to insert a cd to prove I have a previous version of windows. When I insert cd into the cd-rom (attached to Proxmox VE server), I get error message in 3.jpg. This is why I cannot just use iso only. I need cd-rom, too.

4.jpg shows that Proxmox lists my hardware as ide cd-rom. Maybe that is a mistake?
How can I make Proxmox recognize my cd-rom?

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!