Windows xp 64 bit guest will not shutdown for backup

wrt54gl

Feb 11, 2011
when I run the following command:
vzdump --quiet --stop --compress --storage usb_backup --maxfiles 3 --mailto somename@example.com 132

I get the following:

132 win64 FAILED 00:10:02 command 'qm --skiplock shutdown 132 && qm wait 132 600' failed with exit code 255

However, when I try to shutdown the guest with the web interface it always works.

This command is run with cron. When I log into the guest with either web vnc or RDP, the guest immediately shuts down.

This guest also will not shutdown cleanly when the host is shutdown and is just powered off after the shutdown command times out.

I have made sure the guest is configured to allow shutdown without login as well.

I have tried a lot of things and this problem seems to persist. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
looks like the win does not allow anonymous acpi shutdown. I doubt that it will work it you shutdown it via the web gui if you are not logged in, pls re-check.

I just tried it now. It had been up for a few hours and would not shut down. As soon as I logged in it shutdown. However, I then closed the vnc terminal and started the machine with the terminal closed. After it had run a few minutes I tried to shut it down without logging in and it worked fine. It seems like after the machine runs a few hours it will not shut down but if it has not been running long it will shut down okay.

seems some running program inside win prevents shutdown.? any hint in the windows event logs?

tom

Last night the cron job failed again. This morning I opened up the VNC terminal and the machine shutdown again. One thing that I did not mention is that I do not even need to log into the win64 guest for it to shutdown -- just open a vnc terminal. I checked the logs and there are not entries in any of the logs at the time of the failed shutdown.

same problem here

i have tried the suggestion here;
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_2003_guest_best_practices

AND also done this

Drill into Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / System. Find the entry named "Display Shutdown Event Tracker". Double click on it, change it to "Disabled".

http://thomasfreudenberg.com/blog/archive/2004/04/07/EnableShutdownInLoginDialog.aspx

but it won't shutdown - but as soon as you try to login it shuts itself down. i can not debug it.
do i love MS..

Nicolas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!