Windows VMs shutting down unexpectedly !

Nass

Oct 25, 2022
Hello guys, my vm windows turned off frequently any one have an idea of the cause ?

How high is your hosts RAM usage? You could run cat /var/log/syslog | grep oom. If it returns anything, then PVE was killing the VM because your server ran out of RAM.

How high is your hosts RAM usage? You could run cat /var/log/syslog | grep oom. If it returns anything, then PVE was killing the VM because your server ran out of RAM.
It return anything. So i have to add RAM to my VM ?

Hello guys, my vm windows turned off frequently any one have an idea of the cause ?
Does it really shut down? Or does it go to sleep due to the power safe powerplan and inactivity?
That once drove me nuts until I realised what was going on...

Typically that's a restart according to my experience. A shutdown is weird.

What do the windows evebtlogs tell you? Anything?
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

1670441449855.png

Typically that's a restart according to my experience. A shutdown is weird.
Jep, but wasn`t uncommon here on PVE that a update-initialited restart failed with the VM sitting a in shutdown-like state.

Last edited:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
This indeed indicates that either your OS crashed or it was powered off for instance through an out of memory condition as dunuin said.

Since this message is posted on the next boot: what happens before that?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!