Windows VM freeze on start after reboot

GeorgeCZZZ

Nov 3, 2021
Hello, I'm new to proxmox, I use only ESXI before, and never had such issue. On two my VMs, with UEFI Bios, I have problem, that after reboot (like Windows update do), VM doesnt start. It stuck with 50% Cpu utilisation and black screen. In Spice is flashing screen. I'm on PVE 7.0.13 . What can couse this?
When I make normal shutdown, it shutdown corectly. When I start VM, it start coretly. Only restart is problem.

Only message in syslog in time when VM reboot itself and doesnt start is this: Nov 10 22:24:43 px1 pvedaemon[1666325]: VM 103 qmp command failed - VM 103 qmp command 'guest-ping' failed - got timeout

Is there some VM log with more informations?

I noticed the same problem... I haven't figured out the cause yet either. I had to power off and back on a couple VMs that were stuck in this state trying to reboot from an update. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? The VM just flickers black and white indefinitely. I did notice one thing interesting - for me it only seems to happens to VMs with standard UEFI (one with no EFI for TPM 2 attached) and not with BIOS VMs. However hoping to avoid having to create a new VM for these with one of those configs if there is a fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: juliokele
I noticed the same problem... I haven't figured out the cause yet either. I had to power off and back on a couple VMs that were stuck in this state trying to reboot from an update. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? The VM just flickers black and white indefinitely. I did notice one thing interesting - for me it only seems to happens to VMs with standard UEFI (one with no EFI for TPM 2 attached) and not with BIOS VMs. However hoping to avoid having to create a new VM for these with one of those configs if there is a fix.I think, those
Seems, bug can affect i legacy bios - https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/w...ing-reboots-after-patching.99547/#post-429926 , as I think that those people have simmilar problem like we.

Oh, ok thanks. Touch wood, I haven't had this issue on my legacy BIOS VMs yet.

i 've the same problem... i upgraded to 7.1.4 from 6.4 and when i reboot from a vm with Windows Server 2012 R2 (UEFI) it show black screen and it not boot anymore. If i reboot from proxmox (with qemu guest agent) it boot correctly.

UPDATED: I have just to removed efi disk and added another one and it solved to me !!!!

Attachments

• proxmox-bug.png
    proxmox-bug.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I noticed the same problem... I haven't figured out the cause yet either. I had to power off and back on a couple VMs that were stuck in this state trying to reboot from an update. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? The VM just flickers black and white indefinitely. I did notice one thing interesting - for me it only seems to happens to VMs with standard UEFI (one with no EFI for TPM 2 attached) and not with BIOS VMs. However hoping to avoid having to create a new VM for these with one of those configs if there is a fix.

I ran into the same problem where the VM with Windows 10 did not restart correctly and the SPICE screen flashed. The resolving came after I changed the version of the VM chipset from Hardware - Advanced - pc-i440FX-6.1 to pc-i440FX-6.0 pve is ver 7.1-8

Reactions: lps90
I ran into the same problem where the VM with Windows 10 did not restart correctly and the SPICE screen flashed. The resolving came after I changed the version of the VM chipset from Hardware - Advanced - pc-i440FX-6.1 to pc-i440FX-6.0 pve is ver 7.1-8

yeah, v7.1-8 is problematic.
My VM's are with problems and the entire dedicated server keeps crashing with this latest proxmox version.
I do not recommend it at all.
I think i'll need to format my dedicated server with an older proxmox version to solve all the problems.

yeah, v7.1-8 is problematic.
My VM's are with problems and the entire dedicated server keeps crashing with this latest proxmox version.
I do not recommend it at all.
I think i'll need to format my dedicated server with an older proxmox version to solve all the problems.
There are no known issues which are not addressed and fixed or can be workarounded, so please tell a bit more with which package do you see issues (v7.1.8 is not that clear).

I answered in your thread.

It makes no sense to add your LXC container issue to a thread about a Windows guest as qemu VM.
LXC issue?
My issue is with windows VM!:rolleyes:
(The truth is the dedicated machine is randomly rebooting after some time... like described, this latest update caused all this problems...)
Anyway, i see there will be no correction update soon, so i'll format my dedicated machine with an older proxmox version without this kind of problems. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!