Windows server 2012r2 unstable

Could you try for at small test only assigning 1 socket to the VM - 8 cores in total?

When I lost hope for positie solution, i decided to make several VMs with smallest performance. For tests to current (problem) VM i attached 8 cores 1 socet, and ..... BINGO!
But question is open, what mean socet in proxmox VM configuration, is it equal to thread on host server, and VM with 7cores 2 socet was invalid configuration or Bug (proxmox or windows)?

The rather old kernel in proxmox stable has some problems with numa. The new kernel 3.10 and its accompanying qemu/kvm has seen many fixes and enhancement to the numa problem.

IMHO: Running kernel 2.6.32 be cautious when applying more than one socket to a vm and is best avoided. Running kernel 3.10 and you a home free.

Thanks for all, I think problem is solved, waiting for new kernel 3.10 in stable.

Last edited:
When I lost hope for positie solution, i decided to make several VMs with smallest performance. For tests to current (problem) VM i attached 8 cores 1 socet, and ..... BINGO!
But question is open, what mean socet in proxmox VM configuration, is it equal to thread on host server, and VM with 7cores 2 socet was invalid configuration or Bug (proxmox or windows)?

Until you don't use the new numa feature,

it's the same to configure : 2 sockets 4 cores , or 4sockets 2 cores for example.

in both cases, you'll have 8vcpus, so 8 qemu threads.

(with numa, try to keep same socket config than your hosts, for better memory management).

No, about hyperthreading, keep in mind than (8cores with hyperthreading(16cores)) , is really differents than 16 reals cores.

you can have a lot of context switches, if you create a vm with 16cores on a 8cores+hyperthreading.
Better to do a vm with 8-10 cores, but not more.

I have the same performance problems with Windows Server 2012.
Please be advised that it is better to do in my case:
I have a host server with 2 processors E5-2630v2 (6 physical cores) RAM 128GB with kernel 2.6.32-30
I run a virtual machine with 96Gb of RAM, what settings are best to use:
a) 1 socket 12 cores
b) 2 socket 6 cores

If it is necessary to switch to the kernel 3.10 (due to NUMA for the large amount of RAM), it is necessary to change the kernel on all cluster nodes or can I use a different kernels on different nodes?
Does it make problems with the cluster and / or ceph?

thank you very much

I have the same performance problems with Windows Server 2012.
Please be advised that it is better to do in my case:
I have a host server with 2 processors E5-2630v2 (6 physical cores) RAM 128GB with kernel 2.6.32-30
I run a virtual machine with 96Gb of RAM, what settings are best to use:
a) 1 socket 12 cores
b) 2 socket 6 cores
This is the same, until you use the new numa option from pvetest (+3.10 kernel).
with numa, better to have 2 sockets 6 cores, to match the real hardware.

>>If it is necessary to switch to the kernel 3.10 (due to NUMA for the large amount of RAM), it is necessary to change the kernel on all cluster nodes or can I use a different kernels on different nodes?
No, you can have only 1 host

>>Does it make problems with the cluster and / or ceph?

I have migrate from 2.6.32 to 3.10 all my productions server, with a 2month period with mixed kernel, without any problem.

(And Ceph should work better too with 3.10 kernel)

thank you very much[/QUOTE]

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!