Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)

Honeypie

Nov 19, 2021
Hi,
for 2 days I am trying to install WIN 10 as a virtual machine on Proxmox VE without success. I always get an error in the windows device manager for the network adapter: „Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)“ - and the network connection is not working. I checked Google, your forum, YouTube videos and so on. Especially on YouTube I saw a lot of videos, showing how easy this installation should work. I tried exactly the same steps - but didn‘t work.
I am using the newest software versions available:
Proxmox VE 7.1-5
virtio-win-0.1.208.iso
Win10_21H2_German_x64.iso
Network device: VirtIO (paravirtualized)
I tried all available network devices - always the same problem
As the Youtube videos are 6 month or older, I also tried an older Win ISO image, getting the same error.

Everything else works fine - all other driver are OK.
I did not check with an older Proxmox VE version. So I am afraid that the newer Promox VE version produce this problem. Is this possible?
Or is this a known problem with a solution ?
What else could I try ?

I just updated to VE 7.1.5 and my windows VMs fail to boot and freeze, I'm trying to figure out how to roll back to 7.0.xx once my clone jobs compete I will go back. I tried to spin up a new VM and installer can even locate a valid drive to install. Have a look at the V7.1 release forum, sounds like there is a bug..

Does it mean, with the newest Proxmox VE 7.1-5 it is not possible to create a Win10 virtual machine with a working network adapter ? Win10 without network and internet does not make much sense to me!?
There must be anybody out there who created a virtual Win10 with the latest Proxmox VE - if so - how to do ?

As you post in the English forum: just use the English Version of the Win10 ISO, this one is known to work.

(For the German ISO, there are several workarounds. e.g. try to boot with Machine Version to: 5.1. And or search the forum for several other tips)

I just updated to VE 7.1.5 and my windows VMs fail to boot and freeze, I'm trying to figure out how to roll back to 7.0.xx once my clone jobs compete I will go back. I tried to spin up a new VM and installer can even locate a valid drive to install. Have a look at the V7.1 release forum, sounds like there is a bug..
This another issue, please post your VM settings in a new thread.

As you post in the English forum: just use the English Version of the Win10 ISO, this one is known to work.

(For the German ISO, there are several workarounds. e.g. try to boot with Machine Version to: 5.1. And or search the forum for several other tips)
I didn‘t know that there is a German Proxmox forum. But your tip was very useful. Thank you. I loaded an English ISO version and installed the virtual machine in about 30 minutes without any problems. Finally I changed the keyboard to German and installed the German Language Pack. All works now !
Finally that means, Proxmox Version 7 does not work well with German WIN ISOs

Last edited:
Maybe someone else also runs into it....
The error also occurs in the Hungarian version of Windows 10. Ethernet card 56 code - error.
Tested Proxmox 7.1-10 - Win10 21H2 prof. / virtio driver (0.1.171 and 0.1.215 tested) q35 version ( 5.2, 6.0, 6.1) - error occurs

Solution: Machine q35 / version 5.1 (works - no errors).

Last edited:
The error also occurs in the Hungarian version of Windows 10. Ethernet card 56 code - error.
Tested Proxmox 7.1-10 - Win10 21H2 prof. / virtio driver (0.1.171 and 0.1.215 tested) q35 version ( 5.2, 6.0, 6.1) - error occurs

Thx m8 After 4 hours of fighting we finally found this thread :D

Reactions: grand

Works for me too - Thank you!!!

Reactions: grand

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!