Windows Installation Freezing

inanbayram

Dec 19, 2010
Hello everyboy,

i installed today on my Debian Lenny Dedicated Server Proxmox VE. My Problem is, when i want try to install a Windows Server 2008 it freeze on Black screen like "Windows is loading files"

Installing a linux Server is working fine. I hope someone can help me.

Regards Inan

Edit: Maybe this Information can be interessting ;)

My Kernel: Linux 2.6.32-4-pve
Proxmox Virtual Environment 1.7

Last edited:
yes, this is a known issue for outdated win2008 install cd´s and iso´s. you should use a install cd/iso with sp2 integrated, this works.

and win2008r2 works also

Last edited:
Hello. again. No one have a idea whats the Problem?

Edit : sorry Tom i saw your answer later ... i'm online ob Mobilephone....
I will try IT tomorrow Sitz sp2....

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

thank you for helping. I tried Windows 2008 R2 32Bit but this dont work. It worked only with the 64Bit. Is that normaly?

Regards Inan

Hi Tom,

I have server with mutliple Windows Server 2008 VMs.

After the update to PVE 1.7, I am experiencing nearly the same problem.

The VMs cannot start. Even when T try to repair/reinstall them with the installation DVD VM freeze at the same place.

Do you have any solution ?

I think it is maybe not possible but is there a way to go back to PVE 1.6 ?

Best Regards,

Hmidou.

existing VM works here without problems and also new ones works - only installations with outdated iso has the problem as is reproduced here. post the output of 'pveversion -v' to check the updated server.

you can downgrade the qemu-kvm package manually (back to 0.12.5)

Thanks for your answer Tom.

My problem must come from the fact thaty VMs are Windows Server 2008 SP1 VMs...

Another little question : to downgrade to qemu-KVM-0.12.5 is it just a aptitude install qemu-kvm-0.12.5 command or
is it something else ?

Best regards,

Hmidou.

existing VM works here without problems and also new ones works - only installations with outdated iso has the problem as is reproduced here. post the output of 'pveversion -v' to check the updated server.

you can downgrade the qemu-kvm package manually (back to 0.12.5)
Latest Symantec Backup Exec Server Recovery CD doesn't load too. When I downgrade qemu-kvm - this CD is working, with latest qemu-kvm - it freezing on "Windows is loading files" screen. It's not very convenient to downgrade qemu-kvm everytime when I need to load BESR CD for restoring OS in VM. :-(

I do not know this product but is it based on win2008?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!