Windows Developer Workstation

XZed

Sep 20, 2009
Hello,

I hesitate to post this topic but really need to have right answers...

Since i know Proxmox, i install it asap :p as a nice server...

I setup some kvm guest (w/ different goals) and always had good feedback...

But i can't resolve a "special need" :

Strongly inspired by the following wiki post (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Workstations_with_Proxmox_VE_and_X11), i have, in one case, the following setup :

* 1 Windows computer

* 1 NAS

The Windows OS is necessary (family computer :D), and no more computer exist in this setup.

I know that the idea is completely stupid but, by such few hardware available, i thought about setting up Proxmox on a vmware workstation VM :(....

I know, idea is completely stupid and i don't ask to judge this idea, just want some answers...

I don't care about poor performance or stability, just want to bring to this familiy computer guest vm hosted on the NAS (via iSCSI)...

Well, why not simply use Vmware Workstaion ? Proxmox has too benefits compared to vmware..

My main problem : present virtual vmware cpu as x64 one (for kvm use) to proxmox guest....

Here is my problem and i doubt it's possible... Just wanted a confirmation...

I played around with virtualization/cpu options present in vmware without success...

Hadn't tried vmware workstation 7 yet...

Well, i'm ready to listen the truth from you :p

Sincerely,

XZed

Hello,

Strongly inspired by the following wiki post (http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Workstations_with_Proxmox_VE_and_X11), i have, in one case, the following setup :

* 1 Windows computer

* 1 NAS

The Windows OS is necessary (family computer :D), and no more computer exist in this setup.

I know that the idea is completely stupid but, by such few hardware available, i thought about setting up Proxmox on a vmware workstation VM :(....

I know, idea is completely stupid and i don't ask to judge this idea, just want some answers...

I don't care about poor performance or stability, just want to bring to this familiy computer guest vm hosted on the NAS (via iSCSI)...

Well, why not simply use Vmware Workstaion ? Proxmox has too benefits compared to vmware..

My main problem : present virtual vmware cpu as x64 one (for kvm use) to proxmox guest....

Here is my problem and i doubt it's possible... Just wanted a confirmation...

I played around with virtualization/cpu options present in vmware without success...

Hadn't tried vmware workstation 7 yet...

Well, i'm ready to listen the truth from you :p

Sincerely,

XZed

proxmox ve can be installed on vmware workstation, but there will be no KVM - maybe there is some hack (like ESXi, runs now in the workstation, but very slow). note: you need a 64-bit capable cpu (but it also works on a 32-bit windows with vmware workstation).

Hello,

* 1 Windows computer

* 1 NAS

XZed

Hi,
why not the other way? install proxmox on the win-pc (perhaps on a second hd with bootmanager to select also the poor windows) with X and autologin and automatic start a vnc-session to then local windows-vm. For the user looks like windows but for playing you must boot direct in windows :-(

Udo

Thank you all for your answers :) !

Well, faced to real truth, i'll try to have a dedicated x64 computer :p

Thanks again,

XZed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!