windows 7, spice, and sound

mir

Famous Member
Apr 14, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi all,

I can't seem to get any sound from windows. I use these settings: args: -device intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.0,addr=0x18 -device hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0 -device hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1
And in windows I can see two sound devices, but no sound.

Do I need to install something inside windows to get any sound?

PS. The client I use also uses hda-intel for sound. http://ark.intel.com/products/37164/Intel-Desktop-Board-DG41TY

Last edited:
I have such a setup and on the guest machine I have the qxl drivers and spice guest tools.. Sound works nicely when connecting via remote viewer

I looks as the guest intel hda driver conflicts with the intel hda driver on the client since every time I try to activate the sound settings in windows the client looses its sound driver!

Anybody having a setup where the intel hda driver is used both by the client and the guest and having it working?

Audio device in client: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)

Last edited:
This setting gave sound:
args: -device intel-hda,id=sound0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4 -device hda-duplex,id=sound0-codec0,bus=sound0.0,cad=0 -device hda-micro,id=sound0-codec1,bus=sound0.0,cad=1

But as soon as I touched the sound driver in the client the windows guest froze!!

No, only 1.4.

In the meantime I have come to the conclusion that it is the qxl display driver which is to blame and more precisely the qxl driver used in combination with Windows or the remoteviewer and windows. There is no problem using any other display driver and the VNC client with Windows. Spice works with with Linux, *BSD, and solaris clients so this could indicate that the remoteviewer is working correct and therefore it must be the qxl driver in windows. I will try to see if it makes any difference if I do not install the windows qxl driver.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!