Windows 2016 black screen during boot

CoMox

Nov 9, 2018
Hola,

I am running 200+ vm's on 5 node cluster with 3 node Ceph strorage. Mainly W2019 and about a dozen W2016.
1 W2016 machine running SQL has a strange phenomenon. When i do a restart the following happens:
Bios screen Proxmox shows shortly.
Than the machine hangs for about 30 minutes with a black screen ( ctrl+alt+del always works during and the process restarts )
After 30 minutes the Win logo shows and the machine boots normal. And also acts normal.

This happens all the time.

Made a copy of the machine for testing:
changed the Machine hardware ( i440fx | q35 ) to no avail.
scanned the machine ( sfc /scannow | bootrec fixboot and fixmbr ) and all the win repair options that you get from the dvd boot. No change.

I am a bit lost on where to look for solutions. Hope here is someone that has a good idea.

Hola,

Last night i found out what was happening as i was looking for the file version of a file in system32 :p
A piece of software had problems doing a update and made a log in de system32 folder of the machine every (few) seconds. The file count crashed at over 1.200.000 log files. But i expect many more then that. We are now removing the files. So nothing releated to Proxmox at all.

Hopes this helps someone else in future.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!