Windows 2008 R2, recommended setup

alaint

Renowned Member
Mar 21, 2011
Bonjour,

I am looking forward to move my Citrix-Xen VMs to Proxmox-KVM.
I have Windows systems to support and can’t seem to build a Windows 2008 guest that works well.

What is the current production setup to support Windows 2008 R2 (x64)?
My first assumption was, proxmox-ve-2.6.35 with virtio-win-1.1.16 .. but I got connection drops when doing file transfers to the Windows host.

My next alternatives are:
proxmox-ve-2.6.35 with virtio-HardDrive and e1000 for network
proxmox-ve-2.6.32 with virtio-win-1.1.16 .. currently testing.
proxmox-ve-2.6.32 with virtio-HardDrive and e1000 for network

Any recommendation? ..for sure I will like to have KSM support, but it is not a priority.
Would I have better luck with a 32bits Win2008?

Else, all my Linux VM worked well.

Proxmox is impressive.. Bravo, nice work!

alain

I suggest you upgrade to the latest KVM 0.14.1, currently in pvetest but works well and will moved to stable soon.

win 2008r2 64 works well with virtio disk (use 1.1.16 drivers) and virtio nic, using these drivers: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=630830#c26

and do not forget to see also this general optimization:
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/kvmnet/registry#Starting_from_Vista

if you encounter timing issue inside, apply this line in your /etc/qemu-server/VMID.conf:
Code:
args: -no-hpet -no-kvm-pit-reinjection

took more time, but the connection eventually gave up.. so did I ;-).
I have no issue with proxmox-ve-2.6.32, so I will use that version.
thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!