Windows 11 VM with Nvidia Quadro P4000 PCI-e passthrough

Mar 20, 2022
I spent a couple of days getting this all working so I thought I would post here in order to help others who may be struggling.

Most of this is in the docs here, but some things are not obvious: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough

/etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf
Code:
options kvm ignore_msrs=1

/etc/default/grub
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

/etc/modules
Code:
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Code:
blacklist radeon
blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidia
blacklist nvidiafb

I did not need to specify the rom file / video bios, and actually had errors following that procedure.

The relevant part of the vm config. The main thing here is I had to disable "primary gpu" (x-vga) or I would get Code 43. Almost every guide I've seen has said to use `x-vga=on` but this was the cause of Code 43 for me.
Code:
hostpci0: 03:00,pcie=1

I also had to stop using SPLICE display as there were a lot of issues. The issues are not there when the gpu is set to primary gpu; however then I got Code 43. Switching to VirtIO-GPU display resolved the graphical issues, although the console is not quite as nice. Now I just remote desktop for most things, but occossionally you may need the console if you want to tweak anything in GeForce Experience.

Lastly, I connected a cheap GPU (GTX 730) in PCI Slot 2, and set the bios to try to use this GPU first. I may take this out to save power later as I don't think it's actually necessary.

With this setup, I have successfully transcoded video using Plex and successfully streamed the desktop using GeForce Experience and Moonlight. Hopefully this is helpful to someone else.

One issue that I am still having is I cannot use GeForce Experience game streaming with a dummy dongle, although it does work if I connect to a physical monitor. I am not sure what is going on here as the driver (Generic PnP Monitor) is installed for the dongle, and I know it works on bare metal Windows. If anyone has any ideas on that, I'd appreciate it!

Also, any thoughts for sound? A sound device is shown when connected to RDP, but not when using VNC console. Not sure about the audio devices in the hardware section as they mention SPICE.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!