Windows 11 hangs with 100% CPU usage

Hey, thats exactly the same issue I have running Windows 2022 with HyperV feature enabled. This simply does not work on AMD, it freezes soon or later. However I was able to run HyperV on Core Installation (without Desktop Experience) which is unfortunatelly no sollution for your Windows 11. Did you have allready tried to disable Windows Defender and process Isolation features?

Reactions: stakoz
Hey, thats exactly the same issue I have running Windows 2022 with HyperV feature enabled. This simply does not work on AMD, it freezes soon or later. However I was able to run HyperV on Core Installation (without Desktop Experience) which is unfortunatelly no sollution for your Windows 11. Did you have allready tried to disable Windows Defender and process Isolation features?
I don't think the issue is in the guest OS level. It doesn't BSOD so there is no kernel level fault occurring, the system also does not respond to interrupts like ctrl-alt-del and the proxmox console only shows a black screen and does not respond to power state commands. I assume it is an issue with nested virtualization in the guest VM hardware level.

I'm going to remove the Hyper-V feature and see if the issue continues (Not really a workaround since KVM64 seems stable and is the same end state with no nested virtualization to run features like wsl2.)

The black screen is becouse of your power management setting. If you disable to switch off the display you will see, that the os freezes and does not react to any input. There seems to be some constrain in the UI version running HyperV nested in Proxmox on AMD CPU..
The Server 2022 Core installation works smooth and even really quick without any issue.

See my post here:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/windows-server-2022-with-hyperv-is-freezing.103917/

Same issue just happened after removing Hyper-V from Windows 11. System stopped responding CPU use went to 100% when using Host CPU. Going back to KVM64 for now.

Windows 11 uses enhanced Hardware Security. One of them is the "Core Isolation" which is virtualisation-based security. So it must not be the HyperV only causing this issue on AMD CPU, but maybe this too.
Changing the CPU Arch to KVM removs the virtualisation capability of the CPU from the guest. So if you do not need any nested virtualisation and you don't like to deal to find out what's causing this, is this the best sollution in my opinion.

I've been updating my AMD machine whenever a new kernel comes along and Windows 11 with virtualization enabled is no longer hanging. Has this been fixed?

I've not been paying enough attention with all the new kernels being launched in the past months but something recently launched must has fixed the AMD issues! I've been updating Win11 as well, so not sure what fixed it.

Reactions: mijanek
Setting the CPU to KVM64 made a massive improvement for me. Cheers mijanek :)

100% CPU in the guest to 20% - It was completely unusable before. Strangely this issue seems to be inconsistent when I use the "host" CPU type - After restarting the host, this issue sometimes is that and other times it isn't. I am using the dev version of Proxmox so this may explain the differences - I don't have time to test further as I need to use this guest. Anyway, thanks for you help.

Last edited:
Setting the CPU to KVM64 made a massive improvement for me. Cheers mijanek :)

100% CPU in the guest to 20% - It was completely unusable before. Strangely this issue seems to be inconsistent when I use the "host" CPU type - After restarting the host, this issue sometimes is that and other times it isn't. I am using the dev version of Proxmox so this may explain the differences - I don't have time to test further as I need to use this guest. Anyway, thanks for you help.
you shouldn't use "Host" as cpu type in production. Host type pass all cpu flags inside the vms, as if a feature is not well supported by qemu, it can give bug. That's why they are specific cpu models for each cpu generation. Theses models are tested, and unsupported cpuflags are filtered by qemu.

you shouldn't use "Host" as cpu type in production. Host type pass all cpu flags inside the vms, as if a feature is not well supported by qemu, it can give bug. That's why they are specific cpu models for each cpu generation. Theses models are tested, and unsupported cpuflags are filtered by qemu.
Interestingly reading here seems to suggest otherwise: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/cpu-type-host-vs-kvm64.111165/ and I have not had any issues with any of the Linux VM's I have running. In fact I have seen CPU utilisation decrease on the host.

I would agree that running VM's with "host" as the CPU type under production would not be ideal. In my particular use case which is to reduce CPU utilisation to the lowest possible amount (due to high energy costs in the UK) seems be be fine - well apart from the one Windows 11 VM that runs at 100% CPU when it literally doing nothing :confused:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!