Windows 10 Guest keeps stopping/dying overnight - no GUI log

Kixm

Dec 27, 2017
Hi,

first of all, my server is runnig the latest stable version version of proxmox and all my other guests are working fine.
Only my Win10 Guest seems to stop/die overnight and there is no GUI log entry. My Guest is also running the latest Win10-Version.

I read that some Win Servers had a problem by not finding a license server, but my Windows is "Win10 Home".
Perhaps somebody could post a step by step guide for searching all possible Terminal-logs to find out if my host is killing the guest or the guest is killing himself.

Thx in advance.
br kixm

Thank you, but what do I have to look/search for? Guest ID is "400"

But I dont think it is the RAM. I have 48 GB on the Server. 20 GB for Win 10 and 12 GB for other guests. (not balooning)

Hi, I tried both commands.

thats what i got back:

root@server:~# grep -i 'killed' /var/log/messages
root@server:~# grep -i 'killed' /var/log/kern.log
root@server:~#

-------
But I could find another hint. I reduced all the RAM of my guests, but nothing changed (BTW 42% of the RAM are free). The only thing I noticed was that the GUI showed the Win Guest as "paused" and when I pushed the resume button it changed to stopped. But again nothing in the logs.

hmmm, very strange.
br

Is the VM actually stopped (from the Proxmox UI) or is it just not responsive?
I chased an "issue" within a Windows client for almost a week. Only realizing at some point that the damn OS went to sleep and finally to suspend to disk, because it tried to save power.
Removing the appropriate settings led to the desired behavior.
Just an idea...

That's a good question. I already thought about it before, too.
For me it seems, that the guest is also going into suspend mode, but on "Resume" the guest goes to stop, or it is already on stopped" and on the press of start windows always starts from zero. So perhaps something goes wrong on Resume from suspend on disk and kills my guest.

I will try it later.
br

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!