[SOLVED] Windows 10 can see, not access samba share hosted from other sources

papatikka

Jun 26, 2023
I've googled into this issue for many hours and are pulling my hair out of frustration.

I'm running proxmox VE 8, I've installed a Windows 10 VM (called PVE-WIN) following guides for setting up windows vm on Proxmox, and it all went smooth. I've confirmed that file/share settings in regedit, windows firewall, gpo are all OK.

Ipconfig shows following:
1687771940707.png

Gateway 192.168.50.1 is correct and that is my network environment.

In the explorer, PVE-WIN can correctly detect SMB sources

1687772099087.png

However, when I try to go to my fileserver Synology and/or my desktop I get this message:

1687772241140.png

However I can ping from PVE-WIN to my synology server and to my desktop with no problem.

1687772314278.png

• My main desktop CAN access PVE-WIN itself as shared client.
  • My main desktop CAN access Synology as SMB.
  • Other Windows clients can access synology as SMB.
  • Synology running SMB 2.0 -> 3.0
  • My other Containers running as of various linux distros are able to cifs with no problem to my Synology server.

I tried with setting credentials before accessing:

1687772435501.png

Still not working. The closest I come to finding problem is this

1687772474660.png

However I could not find solution to this.

What am I missing out?

Last edited:
I am beginning to think it has something to do with Proxmox VE DNS. But I don't know what to look for.
Also in my router I can see Proxmox client and a container client, their respective IP adresses. But I don't see the VM-WIN IP in my router,

I tried following some tips such as allowing insecureguest regedit
1687786683072.png

editing gpo Lanman Workstation to allow unprotected guest logons to no avail!

Last edited:
Solution

I ended up installing an international / english version of Windows. Then Sambo 3.0 got working.
I found at one obscure thread that Windows non-english ISO have big problem with networking hence I attempted at the english version.

Guess that W10 is finding its way to the thrash bin!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!