Win2k Server Freezes after update from 1.8 to 1.9

dups

Renowned Member
Jun 8, 2011
So I've got a 5 node cluster running 1.8 and I started upgrading my nodes to 1.9. After doing two of them, I have one single Win2k SP4 Server VM (I know, it needs to be upgraded from Win2k but that's a whole other issue...) that freezes every time I try to start it up. I can start it up in Windows Safe Mode without issue but when I try to boot it up normally, it freezes - sometimes before I can login but other times just after. I've already moved 5 other VMs over to the 1.9 nodes all without issue (mix of Win2k, Win2k8, and Linux based VMs). I don't see anything showing up in the logs on the host or in the VM when I start it up in safe mode. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions of what I might need to look at? Thanks in advance!

Also, the Win2k VM is using IDE for disks and e1000 for NIC with drivers from Intel.

pveversion -v output on host:
Code:
pve-manager: 1.9-24 (pve-manager/1.9/6542)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-43
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-43
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-13
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.28-1pve5
vzdump: 1.2-15
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

Last edited:
Are you using the "Standard PC" computer driver (look under the device manager)? If so, change it to the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC".

Are you using the "Standard PC" computer driver (look under the device manager)? If so, change it to the "ACPI Uniprocessor PC".

So it's interesting, I am running the "Standard PC" computer driver as this was an old system that got converted to a VMware Server system several years ago and is now in Proxmox. I've read that changing this over now to ACPI requires reinstalling on top of the existing one which I'm a little uneasy about considering how old this system is. Its really a legacy system that provides some very old services internally and I'm hoping to age out eventually, just wasn't expecting to do it now.

I've actually narrowed down that its specifically the MSSQLSERVER service that is freezing the system. I went through every service one by one and figured out it was this. But I have no idea why all of a sudden this would start hanging when its never had a problem before.

Thanks for the help!

To "fix" WinXP you will need to repair the system with the Windows Setup CD (pushing F5 right after booting the PC to select a new PC driver). I did so successfully on one of our production system. Do not forget to backup.

With w2k, the "fix" is simpler. Run a backup. Then update the driver on the running system and reboot. PVE v.1.9 does not seem to support the standard PC. I had to do the above to bring back two w2k and one winxp application servers.

So it's interesting, I am running the "Standard PC" computer driver as this was an old system that got converted to a VMware Server system several years ago and is now in Proxmox. I've read that changing this over now to ACPI requires reinstalling on top of the existing one which I'm a little uneasy about considering how old this system is. Its really a legacy system that provides some very old services internally and I'm hoping to age out eventually, just wasn't expecting to do it now.

I've actually narrowed down that its specifically the MSSQLSERVER service that is freezing the system. I went through every service one by one and figured out it was this. But I have no idea why all of a sudden this would start hanging when its never had a problem before.

Thanks for the help!

Dups,

You can change the HAL used by the system at start up by using the boot.ini file. Search your computer for Halaacpi.dll and copy the most recent version to \windows\system32.
Then add the /HAL=Halaacpi.dll option to a new line in the boot.ini file, like this,

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Server ACPI HAL" /fastdetect /HAL=Halaacpi.dll

Select "Windows 2000 Server ACPI HAL" at boot time, if it fixes your problem, change the boot.ini file to boot that config by default.

-john

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!