Win2003R2 in KVM VM is slow in PVE 2.2 when multiply CPU cores allowed

I'm sad to said that but we rolled back to 2.1 and decided to completely disable PVE system update. All of our tests given us that 2.2 even from pvetest is a bit less stable (to be clear: "give us a bit more questions to deal with") that "good-old" 2.1.

In our environment we're also need to have VM machines exactly the same, and as we try to upgrade 2.1 -> 2.2 -> 2.2 "test" we found there was some H/W changes (really minor, but our software, which is protected by keys that binds to hardware details, somehow decide to say we "pirated" it; shame on these developers, really, but getting new keys every time we upgrade PVE is boring, too).

We'll keep check what's new in PVE world. Hate to think we'll need to switch to Hyper-V :(

P.S. By the way, we'd stuck with 2.1 ever early, but when we deal with (a bit dated) servers with "only" 300 Gb of storage (but isn't 300 Gb still pretty good even nowadays?) and PVE (after clean install from CD) leaves only 170 GB to store VM images (with root of 60+ GB of free space, which looks too huge), we were urged to find a way to make some "custom" install, so we tried to install Debian and PVE over it as a .deb's - but then we got "new" .debs from repo. Deadlock: we won't use new packages due to its slowness on our hardware and we can't use old packages as we're unsure we'll be able to re-create 2.1 environment over fresh Debian install. May there ever be "custom" mode in PVE CD's? We'd rather try to install PVE on SSDs, but SSDs are also limited in size so install out-of-box PVE on 256 Gb SSD and get 100 Gb of VM storage sound non-practical (sure I can install PVE on HDD and mount SSD as VM storage but that was merely an example that 200+ Gb disks are good even today).

I'm sad to said that but we rolled back to 2.1 and decided to completely disable PVE system update. All of our tests given us that 2.2 even from pvetest is a bit less stable (to be clear: "give us a bit more questions to deal with") that "good-old" 2.1.
So last stable update to qemu 1.3 doesn't help ?

P.S. By the way, we'd stuck with 2.1 ever early, but when we deal with (a bit dated) servers with "only" 300 Gb of storage (but isn't 300 Gb still pretty good even nowadays?) and PVE (after clean install from CD) leaves only 170 GB to store VM images (with root of 60+ GB of free space, which looks too huge), we were urged to find a way to make some "custom" install, so we tried to install Debian and PVE over it as a .deb's - but then we got "new" .debs from repo. Deadlock: we won't use new packages due to its slowness on our hardware and we can't use old packages as we're unsure we'll be able to re-create 2.1 environment over fresh Debian install. May there ever be "custom" mode in PVE CD's? We'd rather try to install PVE on SSDs, but SSDs are also limited in size so install out-of-box PVE on 256 Gb SSD and get 100 Gb of VM storage sound non-practical (sure I can install PVE on HDD and mount SSD as VM storage but that was merely an example that 200+ Gb disks are good even today).
Hi,
you know the boot-params "maxroot" and swapsize"??

With
Code:
linux maxroot=20 swapsize=8
you can "extend" your /var/lib/vz ;)

Udo

Oh, thanks! I didn't knew that trick with boot parameters, so indeed I wasted a lot of time doing something that was already done by you, guys! Will walk this way!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!