[SOLVED] Win10 VM spiceproxy without using "Spice" display device

teh_nev

Jun 27, 2021
Hey all, i'm trying to setup looking-glass-client to connect to a windows VM from a linux VM and the connection is working for the shmem part. I.e. I can use the looking-glass-client to view the windows VM, however i'm struggling to get the spice integration working.

Right now looking-glass-client asks to connect directly to the spice server on the windows VM but I see that pve uses a spiceproxy. I'm struggling to enable the spiceproxy at the moment.

I have played around with the bash script suggested on the wiki - however without setting the display device to "spice" the script fails to retrieve the spiceproxy details.
Similarly the pvesh api explorer has the same issue.

Code:
root@pve:~# pvesh get /nodes/pve/qemu/110/spiceproxy/
No 'get' handler defined for '/nodes/pve/qemu/110/spiceproxy/'

How can I setup my windows VM to be spice enabled so that the spiceproxy is enabled, without setting the Display Device to "Spice" ?
OR
Is there another way to have my windows VM operate as a spice server? (i understand this is insecure and would avoid the PVE authentication)

Last edited:
I have played around with the bash script suggested on the wiki - however without setting the display device to "spice" the script fails to retrieve the spiceproxy details.
Similarly the pvesh api explorer has the same issue.

Code:
root@pve:~# pvesh get /nodes/pve/qemu/110/spiceproxy/
No 'get' handler defined for '/nodes/pve/qemu/110/spiceproxy/'
get will not work, spiceproxy is an endpoint that only works with 'POST' requests (note the tab name in the api viewer)

How can I setup my windows VM to be spice enabled so that the spiceproxy is enabled, without setting the Display Device to "Spice" ?
OR
Is there another way to have my windows VM operate as a spice server? (i understand this is insecure and would avoid the PVE authentication)
not with pve built-in methods, but you can use the 'args' parameter to add arbitrary qemu arguments (root@pam only)

Thanks for the reply! This was helpful.
Putting this together with the info I got on the l1tech forum post I managed to get this working.

FWIW if anyone else comes across this:

I edited the vm confirm /etc/pve/qemu-server/110.conf line args: adding the spice server manually as suggested here.

Code:
args: -device ivshmem-plain,memdev=ivshmem,bus=pcie.0 -object memory-backend-file,id=ivshmem,share=on,mem-path=/dev/shm/looking-glass,size=64M -spice port=5900,addr=192.168.1.9,disable-ticketing=on,image-compression=off -device virtio-serial-pci -device virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0 -chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent

I used the ip of my pve node instead of the suggested 127.0.0.1 address as I connect from one guest to another.

Hope this is helpful for someone else!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!