Win10 VM hangs & memory usage reporting seems off.

dtiKev

Apr 7, 2018
I have a Win10 VM moved over from an ESXi install (used clonezilla backup and restore) an I noticed that overnight when I go back to connect via RDP it's non responsive. At the console the screen paints up as expected... but again non responsive.

When I for a Reset of the VM it comes up fine and I'm able to login at the console or RDP. So I started watching it and noticed that even though the OS reports memory usage at about 1.6GB (of a total available of 12GB) the Summary screen in proxmox's gui reports a constant 10.95 GB of usage. Again, this VM is at idle and only base Win10 os stuff would be happening.

I looked at an older XP VM moved over from ESXi the same way and it is actually actively doing things and I can see the memory fluctuate as it works and it's in line with what XP is reporting. On a similarly idle Ubuntu server I see little to no memory usage/fluctuation.

I've verified that the power settings on the Win10 machine aren't set to go idle or sleep or shut down so i'm not sure what to check next. Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,
dK

do you have removed all VMWare tools?

Yes, I followed the migration wiki before cloning the machine.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/quic...ws-virtual-machines-using-virtio-drivers.html

I don't know. When I first booted the win10 guest on pve it downloaded a lot of drivers to get things cooking but I don't remember which. I saw mention of QEMU in there but not sure about virtio. I'll read the link as see what I can make sense of.

Do you have installed Ballooning service and it is running?

I don't even know what a Ballooning service is. Does it run on the guest?

Off to google. TY for the reply.

I don't even know what a Ballooning service is. Does it run on the guest?
Ballooning run on the guest
see

Please send you VM config to verify the storage bus.

Code:
bootdisk: sata0
cores: 4
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 12288
name: dtInstall
net0: e1000=7E:25:2D:05:CF:DB,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
ostype: win10
sata0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-1,size=151G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=a92614a8-92b7-401d-bbf7-d7be8d34b2bf
sockets: 2

Do you have a numa host System with two sockets?
If not use 8 cores instead 2 sockets and 4 cores.
use virtio as network dev
Also, use SCSI storage bus instead of sata.

The host system has dual AMD 6128s for 16 real cores spread over two sockets so I set it up that way because it came from an identical esxi machine and had been setup that way.

As for the storage bus, am I able to simply detach and reattach that storage after a change or will that cause Win10 to explode in a fiery detonation :) -- I ask becasue the guy who uses this VM has already progressed it's system and I'm doubting that a vzdump backup will help since I assume it will maintain the SATA part. If I have to re-convert the original machine then I'm going to need to do some sort of backup that can be restored based on stuff he's done.

And again... thanks for the replies!

Ok if you have a real NUMA enable it in the config.

The procedure to switch from SATA to SCSI can be done like this.

Add a new disk with SCSI bus to the VM, then install the latest SCSI driver from the virtio disk.
This has to be done to let Windows the SCSI virtio driver know.
Now turn off the VM detach the SATA disk and attach it back as SCSI disk.
If you Windows started propper you can delete the second SCSI disk.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!