Why its so difficult change network config without restart host (hypervisor)

HBG

Mar 14, 2012
If a hypervisor its for mission critical why cant change network configuration in real-time without restart a host (Hypervisor). Others hypervisors like VMWare ESXI and Xen Server can do it that only restarting network daemon, not the host completely. I know that others daemons like pveproxy depend that, but restart a daemon took few seconds or minutes. Restart a professional server took several minutes to restart and put online again. The scenario its not default with a central storage and a cluster. I can heard that is a security measure dont touch network files in real-time.

Last edited:
I have to say, I never used the GUI for that. Just do the plain old Debian network configuration that is available for decades.

IMHO: The reboot in PVE after network change is mostly for preventing something bad in corner cases.

Sounds good, but you can do it in gui in ESXI and XenServer, what is the diference with Proxmox. Perhaps both of them are based in Red Hat (Better approaching to enterprise level). Is a troublesome cumber that afraids several future clients. Is simple put a capcha o some warning remember the danger that you can possible do it if you are wrong or make a mistake. Im consider reboot a host hypervisor a waste of time in a mission critical environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbetous

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!