Why is the directory storage so bad?

rzr

Oct 13, 2016
I've been using the LVM thin storage so far and every time I have to import a VM i have to convert the vmdk to qcow and then `dd` to the lvm volume.

If I use a directory, I can directly run a vmdk and this saves me a lot of converting. Scratch that. Windows vmdks don't work, because of this:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#inaccessible_boot_device

I'll try windows.vmdk to qcow and update the thread. Didn't work. Some shrinking needed. So direct import of windows vmdks to proxmox is not possible.

But anyway, why is the directory storage bad?

did you try converting vmdk to lvm directly? (via GUI, move disk)

and no, directory storage is not bad, raw and qcow2 is fine. vmdk is not quite powerful on Proxmox VE and you should not use it, just for the conversion.

did you try converting vmdk to lvm directly? (via GUI, move disk)

and no, directory storage is not bad, raw and qcow2 is fine. vmdk is not quite powerful on Proxmox VE and you should not use it, just for the conversion.

I've heard about that, but I can't seem to find it. I found this: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/File:Screen-move-disk.png
Are these the steps: I add the vmdk to vm101 for example, create a second disk in the lvm thin and then move it?

What are the steps to move the disk. Where do I put the vmdk?

1. You have to prepare your Proxmox VE with directory storage (local or NFS).
  2. Create a new VM, using this directory storage with vmdk image format.
  3. Copy your vmdk file from vmware to this directory storage, replacing the previous created empty file (in the case of local storage, its under /var/lib/vz/image/VMID/...)
  4. Now you can see the imported vmdk file on the GUI, and you can "move" this to any other storage available in your Proxmox VE host.

1. You have to prepare your Proxmox VE with directory storage (local or NFS).
  2. Create a new VM, using this directory storage with vmdk image format.
  3. Copy your vmdk file from vmware to this directory storage, replacing the previous created empty file (in the case of local storage, its under /var/lib/vz/image/VMID/...)
  4. Now you can see the imported vmdk file on the GUI, and you can "move" this to any other storage available in your Proxmox VE host.
I got it thanks. But there are too many steps
`qemu-img convert` and `dd` is faster

qemu-img directly to lvm is still faster if you want to stick to this way.

I checked `qemu-img`'s help page, but couldn't figure it out - doesn't say anything about lvm partitions. Can you show an example command?

In Linux - as in Unix - everything is a file, therefore you can sync whatever you want. Just give the file to your lvm partition. Just have a look at /dev/mapper, there are your lvm volumes as files (or symlinks to files)

You're absolutely right. I thought there'd be an option, but if dd can copy it, then sending directly to lvm should also work.
Tested it - worked fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!