Why does Proxmox host require static IP?

StickyC

Apr 3, 2020
In the docs, it talks about the Proxmox host requiring a static IP. Why is this required? What gotchas are there if I move it to a dynamic IP?

I'd love to be able to move my Proxmox host(s) to DHCP (all guests use bridged networking).

EDIT: After doing more digging, it looks like one issue is that a dynamic IP would break the self-signed cert that's build during installation. I'm not sure I care about this, since my host would be internal use only.

Last edited:
Proxmox VE is a server and provides IP based services. It needs a fixed IP because else the user does not know the service IP address ...

Proxmox VE is a server and provides IP based services. It needs a fixed IP because else the user does not know the service IP address ...

In my network setup, I'm using PiHole (ad-blocking internal DNS serve with DNSMASQ) to provide DHCP, so hosts that are given a dynamic IP are still resolve-able internally by hostname. I did that specifically to address the problem you're describing.

Thats part of why I wanted to move to dynamic. With my current configuration, I'm unable to use PiHole to resolve internal hosts that are not allocated via DHCP, but that's a different rabbit hole :)

In my network setup, I'm using PiHole (ad-blocking internal DNS serve with DNSMASQ) to provide DHCP, so hosts that are given a dynamic IP are still resolve-able internally by hostname. I did that specifically to address the problem you're describing.

DHCP does not only give dynamic IPs, it also gives static ones. I don't get why you should always have a new IP and have all the overhead of changing DNS entries in a home setup or even in any other setup besides running an ISP.

DHCP does not only give dynamic IPs, it also gives static ones. I don't get why you should always have a new IP and have all the overhead of changing DNS entries in a home setup or even in any other setup besides running an ISP.

I was hoping that would happen, but was running into issues where DHCP would not pass the hostnames for the reserved IPs to DNSMASQ so those hosts would not be resolvable. That appears to be working now, so I have moved to static IPs.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!