[SOLVED] Why does OpenID login require a lastname?

Luki20

Apr 28, 2018
Hello together!

Wanted to set up an OpenID login, but unfortunately this does not work without errors. Everything is connected, redirect works, but why is required that a lastname is sent? I mean, why do we need that? We should only require a username in my opinion to log in.

OpenID login failed, please try again
writing '/etc/proxmox-backup/user.cfg' failed: verify section 'test.user@sso' failed - parameter verification errors parameter 'lastname': value must be at least 2 characters long

Is there a reason why a lastname is mandatory? Thanks for your answers!

Hello together!

Wanted to set up an OpenID login, but unfortunately this does not work without errors. Everything is connected, redirect works, but why is required that a lastname is sent? I mean, why do we need that? We should only require a username in my opinion to log in.

Is there a reason why a lastname is mandatory? Thanks for your answers!
I assume you use the "autocreate" feature. In this case the lastname is not mandatory, but if it exists it must conform to the name restrictions.

I assume you use the "autocreate" feature. In this case the lastname is not mandatory, but if it exists it must conform to the name restrictions.
Yes, but the field "lastname" does not exist in the response ...

Yes, but the field "lastname" does not exist in the response ...
Just verified the code, and it looks Ok to me. Please can you post the response data if you have it?

Note that we use "family_name" from the response to fill last_name (because there is no lastname in standard claims).

Last edited:
Please can you post the response data if you have it?
Solved it for me, the response data of family_name was indeed empty, but it seems that PBS interpreted it and couldn't create the user, as the last name was not sent. Maybe PBS simply ignores an empty string to avoid such errors.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!