Whitelist processing

Andrei9385

Nov 30, 2023
Hello.

I read the documentation but I don't understand. Could you please explain in more detail ?

Mail Filter - Who Objects - Whitelist
Configuration - Mail Proxy - Whitelist

As I understand it:

Mail Filter - Who Objects - Whitelist is SMTP level processing?
Configuration - Mail Proxy - Whitelist is the post SMTP processing?

1. How can I figure out where to whitelist a mailbox/domain ?
2. How can I understand at what level the different processes that are blocking my email are running ?
3. How can I make full permission so that pmg does not block emails in any way ?
4. Graylistng - I see blocking very often. Adding an exception to Mail Filter - Who Objects - Whitelist does not solve the problem. At what level is it working ? Could you please tell me how it works ? How to create a whitelist for it ?

- I don't understand at what level a particular blocking module works, and how to select the section for the whitelist where I should add the exception.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Mail Filter - Who Objects - Whitelist is SMTP level processing?
Configuration - Mail Proxy - Whitelist is the post SMTP processing?
No, it's the other way around, actually. The Mail Proxy's whitelist acts on the SMTP level before the Rule system's mail filter ever get triggered.
1. How can I figure out where to whitelist a mailbox/domain ?
By mailbox, I assume you mean a specific mail address? You can, and might have to, specific those domains and addresses on both levels. Either under Mail Proxy > Whitelist > Add or under Mail Filter > Who Objects > Whitelist > Add.

2. How can I understand at what level the different processes that are blocking my email are running ?
You can check in the tracking center whether a mail was blocked by a specific mail filter rule, in that case you can whitelist the domain/address etc. in the mail filter. Alternatively, if it is blocked by the mail filter you can whitelist ist there.

3. How can I make full permission so that pmg does not block emails in any way ?
Do you mean no emails ever get blocked at all? That seems like an odd setup to be honest. If you just want to whitelist a specific domain for example, just add it to both whitelists and make sure there is no mail filter rule that supersede the whitelist rule for that domain.

4. Graylistng - I see blocking very often. Adding an exception to Mail Filter - Who Objects - Whitelist does not solve the problem. At what level is it working ? Could you please tell me how it works ? How to create a whitelist for it ?
That would be part of the Mail Proxy, simply whitelist the mails there. You can also turn off grey listing altogether in the Mail Proxy's options [1], but that isn't recommended.

You probably want to take a look at our “getting started” guide in the wiki too [2].

[1]: https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_mailproxy_options
[2]: https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_started_with_Proxmox_Mail_Gateway

Reactions: Andrei9385

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!