Which RAID Controller with Proxmox VE and debian openVZ

RAFU

Apr 18, 2011
Belgium
Hello guys,

I was about to order an Adaptec 2405 RAID 1/0 Controller when, just to be sure, I quickly checked on Google what does people usually say about this one.
I first seen that :

Windows :
XP, Server 2003/2008, Vista
Linux :
Red Hat & SuSE Linux

I was like : :mad:

So, to be SURE that the card I'll purchase is good with my proxmox server (who works on a Debian 5.0 openVz appliance, and a windows), I wanted to have your opinion..

It will be used with 2 S-ATA HDD 1 tb.

Thanks !

Will this be a production-server or something you are playing with (or simply can you sleep if the server crashes?)

If you are just starting, this card will be ok but you cant add a bbu and the cache has only 128MB. Maybe you should take a look at the new 6405 which is supporting the zmm(is working like the bbu and can also be added later), has 512MB and is working with the latest 1.8 release.

I´ve posted some performance-results for the 6405 some days ago

Hello.

Well, the server has a bunch of UPS behind it, so is the bbu really needed ? The server isn't supposed to crash in anyway (except with an earthquake maybe :D)
It's mainly used as a datacenter, there is a daily backup of the data online, and a weekly backup on an external NFS server with vzdumb.

So... I don't know if really I need a raid controller with the bbu ? Anyway, as I said, I'm quite new in this world so.. any advice is good to know.

I just checked and my dealer only have 2405 and 5405 card... So any of them are 6405 :|

Would the 2405 works for sure on the last VE release ?

Thanks again ;-)

Thank you svenr !

And so (just for my knowledge), with an UPS behind the server, except if REALLY it's a production server who can't lose any data in anytime, the bbu is really needed ?

Every Raidcontroller is working without a bbu too, but there are some which can enable the writecache and some other features only if the bbu is connected.

In case of a powerloss the bbu makes shure that the data in the writecache isn't lost.

Last edited:
Thank you svenr !

And so (just for my knowledge), with an UPS behind the server, except if REALLY it's a production server who can't lose any data in anytime, the bbu is really needed ?
Hi,
not only powerloss is a problem - the ups isn't very helpful if one fan die and your cpu switched off due overheating (there are a lot of more exampels).

To use an BBU is best practice - so you don't have the problem to answer if important data are lost and your boss ask you why you don't use an BBU...

And like sven wrote before - without bbu some raidcontrollers are not very fast...
btw- fast - i expect not the best transfer-values with an 2405 (especially with raid1).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!