Which raid card ?

Grouack

Mar 4, 2021
hi every one, I'm new on this forum.
I'm looking for a raid card to use with proxmox for a raid 5.
i want to use this raid card only for disk where it will have personal data. All VM Os and proxmox will be on another disk.

I am asking my self if there is some incompatibility between the material ( the raid card ) and proxmox os ?

in all my search I have seen that lsi 9260 seems to be ok but I'm really interesting about the Avago LSI Nytro Megaraid 8110 ( https://eurocapa.com/nytro-megaraid-nmr-81104i.html).
On the last one I didn't found information if it will work with proxmox.

can someone give me advise or a feedback about this card ?

Thanks.
Have a good day !

Hi,
Do you really need a RAID card?
Instead of hardware based RAID you can create a software based RAID by means of ZFS.
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/zfs-vs-hardware-raid.30243/
Hi,
thanks for your reply.
I have looked about ZFS.
I wanted to use HW raid for avoid CPU and RAM usage and have a component only dedicated on this task.
I'm also a little bit curious about HW use.

I will describe a little bit more what I wanted to do.
I precise everything it's for a homelab.
I'm creating a K8s cluster and I wanted to serve all k8s volume thanks to NFS.
This NFS server will mount a number of logical volume ( LVM ). Each logical volume will be for a particular environnement like for personal services, development environment,...
I wanted to be able to create lv on an array in raid 5.

I come with this question of material because I have seen that it can have some difficulty between the material and proxmox.

have a component only dedicated on this task.
That is also a big problem. If the HW raid card dies you need to buy the same model or your data is lost. If that raid card is out of production it will get harder and harder to find one over time.

That is also a big problem. If the HW raid card dies you need to buy the same model or your data is lost. If that raid card is out of production it will get harder and harder to find one over time.
hi,
Thanks for your reply
I know this problem. I think that it's not only a problem of raid card but you can have the same issue for other component that are a little bit old.
I think we need to don't forgot that a raid solution it's not a backup solution and both need to exist in case of material failure, data corruption, ...

And a backup solution can be way if a raid card dies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!