Which network ports are required

TCP only.

It’s always better to keep the port closed if possible. So better use VPN.

I don’t use VPN in that case but I opened the port only for specific source IP addresses (so only addresses of my Nodes). All other Source IPs are blocked by Firewall.
Maybe it will give you some idea.

Best regards
Floh

I don’t use VPN in that case but I opened the port only for specific source IP addresses (so only addresses of my Nodes). All other Source IPs are blocked by Firewall.
Ok so rather than letting the router perform the allow-list, you told the PVE firewall to perform this? I think I will simply let my router's firewall perform this.

Thanks Floh,
Tmanok

Last edited:
No, I have a dedicated machine as firewall (OPNsense) and Proxmox Backup Server is running as VM on my QNAP.

Last edited:
No, I have a dedicated machine as firewall (OPNsense) and Proxmox Backup Server is running as VM on my QNAP.
Oh nice, I just setup two OPNSense routers, so much higher performance, even on weak old xeons! Why spend thousands on something with 1-4GB of RAM and a few ARM CPU cores when you can build a better version for a couple hundred? :p

Reactions: floh79

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!