[SOLVED] Which "From" Do Whitelists Operate On?

utkonos

Apr 11, 2022
Using the "Whitelist" button in the Quarantine area adds the "From" address shown on that page to the user's whitelist. Adding that same email address to the global whitelist should allow the same, but for all users on the mail gateway. However, I have noticed that some email is still being quarantined even though the correct email address is in one or both of those locations.

Which "From" does Proxmox operate on: the "From:" header, or the envelope from or both?

It appears from my experience so far that only the envelope from is operated on and the From: header is ignored. I think this is happening because a user has whitelisted an email using the button in Quarantine which used the header "From: noreply@example.com", but the envelope from of the same message if you look at the from field in the tracking center is "bounces-foo-bar-baz-1234567@foobar.example.com".

Is the above correct, or am I missing something crucial to how whitelists function?

What should users who click the button in the quarantine management area expect to happen? That area uses the From header as the content that the Whitelist button operates on.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!