Where to install TrueNAS: local-zfs or physical drive attached to hba?

coldplug

Mar 18, 2023
Hello,

I hate opening an account to ask newbie question, but I can't find an example answer (although I'm sure this has beed discussed already many times - so, my apologies).

I want to know what is better between two options, before I do something and regret later.

Let's say I have Proxmox on SSD attached to the motherboard and also other SSDs reserved for my local-zfs space. Also, I have attached hba with one SSD and two HDDs for data, with whole hba being passed through for TrueNAS.

Now, should I install TrueNAS (OS only, obviously) onto local-zfs, or onto that SSD attached to hba? I saw only examples where people install OS onto virtual disk created on local storage, but would this lead to "ZFS on top of ZFS" problems? Should it be better to install TrueNAS os onto hba SSD drive and that way have all disks that TrueNAS sees non-virtualized and fully separated from Proxmox?

Let me know if I misundertand something.

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!