Where did the names of the VMs go?

SergeantFTC

Jul 5, 2011
In proxmox VE 2.0 beta 1, in the list of VMs on the side, after each VM number, the VM name was in parenthesis. Now, the VM name isn't there, so I am forced to distinguish between VMs based solely on number. Is this just me, or did you take away this handy feature? Thanks in advance.

I would like to see a change in naming of VM's so that the actual VM name is displayed first and then the VM number in parenthesizes. That way the naming scheme will sort all my VM's for me in a correct way and it is much easier to manage when you have lots of VM's. I usually use a name scheme where i use my clients domain name like this macer.se_srv01. Is it something that you would consider change for the 2.0 release?

I would like to see a change in naming of VM's so that the actual VM name is displayed first and then the VM number in parenthesizes.

I would also like to see that the UI would use names to reference virtual machines. Names are easier to remember than numbers. Off the top of my head:
1) All the VM and container lists in the main window.

2) Console window - Now I need to check from the main window which VM this console actually belongs to.

3) Backup file names - Virtual machines come and go so it is impossible to remember what certain backup file contains. VM 100 could be totally different than a backup of VM 100 since a while ago. Adding notes/comments to backups would help here also

4) Disk image names - Not as important as previous ones but would make identifying images/logical volumes easier

Naturally this imposes some restrictions to what could be used as VM name (must be a part of file name) but names could go through conversion after VM creation. For example convert VM name all lowercase and replace spaces and other special characters with underscore.

did you see the powerful 'search' on the datacenter level? I assume this helps a lot to find the right vm, as far as you give similar names to similar vm´s. works quite fast, even with hundred´s of VM´s.

3) Backup file names - Virtual machines come and go so it is impossible to remember what certain backup file contains. VM 100 could be totally different than a backup of VM 100 since a while ago. Adding notes/comments to backups would help here also

Any chance to get feature like this? I find it quite difficult to track backups with current naming convention after few virtual machines have been created/destroyed. Would it be possible to append vm name to backup name? Notes/comments would be nice also.

Any chance to get feature like this? I find it quite difficult to track backups with current naming convention after few virtual machines have been created/destroyed. Would it be possible to append vm name to backup name? Notes/comments would be nice also.

How about vzdump puts the name/notes into the backup log file?
Then we could look at the log and know what VM is in the particular backup.

How about vzdump puts the name/notes into the backup log file?
Then we could look at the log and know what VM is in the particular backup.

Don't we log that already (not sure)? Anyways, that is by sure possible. Please file a feature request at bugzilla.proxmox.com if you want that.

in the past (1.7 i think) i developed a (really simple, i'm a perl beginner, dietmar could have done that so much better than me) patch for vzdump to (optionally) enable that in the backup filename, and worked.
I uploaded that to proxmox team but never ever heard of anything like that... i'm not complaining with the team, they surely had very solid reasons for not use that suggestion. i also stated clearly that i did not want any credit for that, it was like 10 rows of code ... :(

so i would also like that very much...

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!