What's wrong with Proxmox ?

eurowerfr

Renowned Member
Jun 25, 2015
Hi,

I've installed Proxmox on a server : all is cool and is OK :D

But some days after, without update, a first problem : probleme with UPID ? WHAT ? Why this problem come from anywhere ? (http://iamwebmaster.blogspot.fr/2014/09/proxmox-starting-worker-failed-unable.html)

I path this.

All is OK

Some days after : blank screen in the proxmox web console (HTML data, but no screen).

No update made, but Proxmox is alive and change it without human action ? Not good !

I tried to update proxmox : failed !

Proxmox is not the good solution for a production :mad:

Yves

pveversion -v
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.1-111 (running kernel: 2.6.32-24-pve)
pve-manager: 3.4-6 (running version: 3.4-6/102d4547)
pve-kernel-2.6.32-24-pve: 2.6.32-111
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.5-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.0-2
pve-cluster: 3.0-7
qemu-server: 3.1-4
pve-firmware: 1.0-23
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-24
libpve-access-control: 3.0-6
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-33
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-2
vncterm: 1.1-4
vzctl: 4.0-1pve3
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.4-17
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.4.0-2

That output is strange - it is a mixture of old and new packages? Please update all your packages and test again.

Ok, but how to get as before an running proxmox without upgrade the entire production distrib ?
I don't undersand why a running proxmox a day is not running the day after :s

I try to reinstall with, but failed :
apt-get --reinstall install pve-manager
apt-get --reinstall install libpve-common-perl

sorry but are you really thinking proxmox users around the world which are running thousands of cluster are so mad to run such an unstable system, in production?
doesn't any other option come to your mind?

if the packages are screwed, either it was wrongly installed or something else happened later.
To understand what happened, usually system logs are your friends.

Marco

humm, Marco. My system was clean a day ago for a production !
The system is now as is it after trying to update Proxmox because it became broken.

All was installed by the Promox distribution.
Problems come after, I'm not so mad as you think, unfortunately I have to do with the situation as I find it.

humm, Marco. My system was clean a day ago for a production !
The system is now as is it after trying to update Proxmox because it became broken.

You have broken system with old packages. I am 100% sure that this does not happen
automatically.

I'm not so mad as you think,

I never said that. But saying:

Proxmox is not the good solution for a production :mad:

it seems you think all the others are mad. Isn't it?

I think that someone who can access the server/cluster (or the lan) made some mistake, of which you are currently probably unaware, but you can find which posting configs and command outputs and also looking all kind of relevant logs.
What could be happened, imho, is that some automatic or manual update installed wrong packages, somehow.

Despite the fact that you gave not many details about your initial setup and later operations, imho, Dietmar is the best person to help you.

Marco

I've never said that I have not do that !

I've said that Proxmox was running a day, but the next day, there is a blank web console !

So, I tried , after, to update or reinstall Promox, but it failed. This is the reason I have now theses packages.

What I want say, it only that from a day to the next day, the proxmox web console failed without change anything.
The packages was modified after in order to solve this problem.

But I don't understand what these :
Jun 25 06:26:13 start download http://releases.turnkeylinux.org/pve/aplinfo.dat.gz
Jun 25 06:26:13 download finished: 200 OK
(...)
Jun 25 06:26:13 update sucessful

Proxmox auto update what ?

Ah ok ^^. I would like to say, in this situation, Proxmox is not the solution to be in production in my company because a day it works, and a day after, without do anything, it doesn't work anymore.
I do not pretend that others guys are mad : each situation is or not uniq :)

I'll try to find what happened and how to solve this problem, my post on this forum was in case of a known problem or a quick reinstall procedure of the web Proxmox without to have to upgrade the entire broken system.

Thanks ;)

I think that is the list of the turnkey templates available in the web gui.
the list is update daily. "200 ok" means it worked.

I get similar logs, every day, nearly at the same hour.

Marco

Ah ok ^^. I would like to say, in this situation, Proxmox is not the solution to be in production in my company because a day it works, and a day after, without do anything, it doesn't work anymore.
I do not pretend that others guys are mad : each situation is or not uniq :)

I'll try to find what happened and how to solve this problem, my post on this forum was in case of a known problem or a quick reinstall procedure of the web Proxmox without to have to upgrade the entire broken system.

Thanks ;)

you could try to be sure that the repository are ok, and then try an "apt-get update" from the cli (ssh).
but Dietmar (ie: pve devs) would know the best for you, I'm sure.

Marco

Hi,
why you are scary for "upgrade the entire (broken) system"??

This is the normal thing, that the whole system is upgraded. If you only upgrade part of an system, you should realy realy know what you are doing. And if you know what you are doing, you don't need the help of this forum ;-)

To see what happens post the output of following commands (they change nothing because of dry-run)
Code:
more /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

apt-get update

apt-get dist-upgrade --dry-run
Udo

As others have said, you must have done something wrong that has broken your system. It doesn't update or break on its own.

Maybe you tried to update specific packages of the system separately... If upgrading proxmox you should upgrade the whole system and have all the packages in line with the versions designed for that release of proxmox.

I run 16 nodes in production, I migrated AWAY from VMWare... I wouldn't have done that if it wasn't a stable platform, ready for production.

I believe that this forum was created with the purpose of get help, and not for do destructive criticisms.

But pitifully, in this forum always we have some member that not respect the basic rules of human conduct, and for go of bad to worse, neither reviewed all the logs of his system before of start to talk and do destructive criticisms.

Dietmar is the team leader of developers of PVE, he very gently and in few words, explain what is the problem, and give the solution. So please, think that you are not paying for that somebody help you, so i believe that you should be friendly and not rude.

Personally i can say that I have many years working with PVE, and only can say that PVE is a fantastic product, and considering that PVE is used in all the world, i think that thousands people not can be wrong for choose PVE as his system of virtualization favorite.

Moreover, is curious that of thousands people that use PVE in the world, only one person have a problem critical and think that PVE is not good solution for a production environment.... to he, i only can say: have you read the extensive list of known Issues that have other Hypervisors as VMware or Citrix?, as also i want to ask you if have you read the list of hardware incompatibility and configurations that have other Hypervisors as VMware or Citrix in real servers?

Note: i am only mentioning VMware or Citrix due to that they aren't based in KVM, and are the comercial Hypervisors more used in large datacenters of all the world.

Finally, i want to say that be a little kinder takes nothing away.

Regards to all
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!