What's Causing My External USB HDD To Mount After A Reboot?

mhayhurst

Jul 21, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Using Proxmox 6.2-14, is there anything built in to Proxmox outside of: /etc/fstab that would cause my external USB HDD to mount after a reboot? I previously added this USB HDD under: Datacenter --> Storage --> Add --> Directory but it has since been removed and is not listed anywhere in /etc/fstab. After I reboot my Proxmox machine the drive still mounts. Also, this machine is not part of any cluster.

Bash:
root@proxmox2:~# mount

/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/pve/backup_storage type ext4 (rw,relatime)

Bash:
root@proxmox2:~# cat /etc/fstab
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
/dev/pve/root / xfs defaults 0 1
UUID=77E6-E5BD /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1
/dev/pve/swap none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

Him

You could see in systemd

Bash:
ls /etc/systemd/system  | grep .mount

Bash:
proxmox2:~# ls /etc/systemd/system  | grep .mount
mnt-pve-backup_storage.mount

Bash:
proxmox2:~# cat /etc/systemd/system/mnt-pve-backup_storage.mount
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

[Mount]
Options=defaults
Type=ext4
What=/dev/disk/by-uuid/f7b9d25a-2e74-42f5-9883-522269a332e7
Where=/mnt/pve/backup_storage

[Unit]
Description=Mount storage 'backup_storage' under /mnt/pve

Bash:
proxmox2:~# blkid

/dev/sdb1: UUID="f7b9d25a-2e74-42f5-9883-522269a332e7" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="ef30fd91-adf6-4f6c-a58b-27e4d9fdd353"

So mounting can happen in systemd and in the fstab file? I assume this systemd entry was not deleted when I deleted the external drive from Datacenter --> Storage?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!