What to do with my old ZFS zpool of Steam Games [Changing Old Windows PC into Proxmox]

Mokerak

Jun 18, 2024
Hello,
I am in the middle of trying out Proxmox for the first time.
My old PC used to be Windows 10 which had 4 Hard Drives running as a Zpool, accessed by Windows. It was a pain to get ZFS to work for me using OpenZFSOnWindows, but it worked. The Zpool stored a large quantity of games from steam.

Now I want to make this old computer be primarily proxmox. However I'd like to still be able to access the ZFS Pools existing data. I was able to mount the ZPOOL already to the Proxmox node. But now I'm unsure where to continue.

I'd like to be able to either access the steam games either from my new PC via quickly transferring them over the network, or run the games locally on a VM? inside proxmox maybe? It wouldn't have to be a windows VM though so that saves allot of hassle.

I tried looking up various guides on giving VM's access to a proxmox node's storage directly but there were allot of various opinions on whether or not that someone would even wanna do that.

What should I do? My internet has not great download speeds and I really don't want to have to re download everything.

As you can see my Zpool is already imported into proxmox, I also made sure to add it to the proxmox node as well and it worked great. (Its also RaidZ1)

1718747448673.png

Usually you would share those folders via SMB/NFS. But playing a game that loads ressources from a remote network share sounds terrible. Popping in objects, not loading textures and so on. Maybe a steam proxy would be an alternative?

Usually you would share those folders via SMB/NFS. But playing a game that loads ressources from a remote network share sounds terrible. Popping in objects, not loading textures and so on. Maybe a steam proxy would be an alternative?
Steam Proxy? Also thanks for the suggestion of SMB/NFS

You can set up a proxy server for steam that caches your game downloads. So you have to only download it once. The proxy then will save it. Any other PCs after that, that want to download and install that game, will download it from your local proxy instead of the steam online servers.
With that you still have to install the game locally on those other PC but your slow internet connection then isn't the bottleneck.
Something like this: https://lancache.net/docs/faq/

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!