What storage to use in my homelab setup?

helpfinder

Aug 6, 2024
Hi folks,
I would be interested into your opinion.

I am running single node of Proxmox on my UMAX N10 Pro mini PC. It is all-in-one PC with just 256GB SSD. As external storage I am using Synology DS120j I have for years
I am wondering what would be your suggestions for storage if I want improve the current one.

To buy NAS, like Synology e.g. with 4 bays seems for me as waste of money, when looking only on empty Synology NAS.
I am not sure what are my other options - if there is anything where I could put 3-4 disks and use it as storage connected to miniPC I have, or I will end up with build my own customer home server with standard motherboard where I will have controlled with ability to connect several HDDs

Many thanks

What's your budget? You aren't going to run a large number of workloads on a N100 machine with only 8 gb of ram. I am not saying that to be critical, but rather to point out that your DS120J might be fine for the job. I run 3 Proxmox nodes here, and on all three, my strategy is to push as much data to an NFS share on one of my two NAS devices. As a result, I don't use very much of the NVMe drives on any of my nodes. I have NFS shares mounted in my VMs to store application data. I use NFS shares for persistent volumes in docker. And I back up my VMs and CTs to an NFS share. On my N100 based Proxmox node, I have run three VMs and I have a single NVMe drive set up to be the boot partition as well as to store my VMs. It only uses about 100gb of space total.

I think in your situation you may be more limited by the amount of CPU and RAM than by the amount of storage. I don't think trying to connect drives by USB would be very productive. Unfortunately you might need to build a new server, but you don't need to go crazy. My main Proxmox machine is an HP Elitedesk Mini G9 with an intel i5-12500T, two 1 TB NVMe drives in a mirror, and a 10 gbe flexIO NIC. It is plenty fast enough for me, and I use the same NFS set up for that machine as well. NFS seems fine for my purposes especially on a faster network connection

What's your budget? You aren't going to run a large number of workloads on a N100 machine with only 8 gb of ram. I am not saying that to be critical, but rather to point out that your DS120J might be fine for the job. I run 3 Proxmox nodes here, and on all three, my strategy is to push as much data to an NFS share on one of my two NAS devices. As a result, I don't use very much of the NVMe drives on any of my nodes. I have NFS shares mounted in my VMs to store application data. I use NFS shares for persistent volumes in docker. And I back up my VMs and CTs to an NFS share. On my N100 based Proxmox node, I have run three VMs and I have a single NVMe drive set up to be the boot partition as well as to store my VMs. It only uses about 100gb of space total.

I think in your situation you may be more limited by the amount of CPU and RAM than by the amount of storage. I don't think trying to connect drives by USB would be very productive. Unfortunately you might need to build a new server, but you don't need to go crazy. My main Proxmox machine is an HP Elitedesk Mini G9 with an intel i5-12500T, two 1 TB NVMe drives in a mirror, and a 10 gbe flexIO NIC. It is plenty fast enough for me, and I use the same NFS set up for that machine as well. NFS seems fine for my purposes especially on a faster network connection
Hi louie,
thanks for your reply.
To be said at the beginning - I replaced 8GB build-in RAM with 32GB module (16GB officially supported, but 32GB works without any issues)
I am not running much on this node - currently I have there 3 VMs
* Ubuntu VM where is docker and approx 20 containers running (various applications)
* HomeAssistant appliance
* Proxmox Backup Server

Currently I have Synology 120j with 2TB of HDD - and this is the place where all of my data are. E.g. photos, documents, HomeAssistant backups.
Synology disk has currently 35% of free space

I want to store Proxmox backups to storage for example, which will take some more space on Syno
Of course I can live with this setup some time. Also I can replace 2TB disk to 4TB or 8TB (if supported by DS120j) and have more space. That is fine.

I am just interesting how possibly to achieve more data capacity and also some redundancy (RAID setup) - e.g. to buy 4-bay Synology witout disks for more than 400€ seems for me quite waste of money if there is another option without need to pay for brand, DS software etc., so I started this thread to find our other options I have - if any :)

I guess it all depends on what you mean by more redundancy. One thing to consider is that RAID is not a backup, so having a raid array isn't going to safeguard your data in the same way as a good back up strategy would. RAID is more for preventing down time in the case of a disk failure. I am not sure buying a 4 bay NAS will actually get you any additional uptime since the boot drive in your UMAX N10 is not redundant.

If by redundant you mean having a sound backup strategy, then you could do that a couple of different ways. A second NAS would definitely help. In that case, you could get a larger NAS as your primary data store and back up that NAS to the DS120J (assuming you put a larger drive in your DS120J). You could also use the cloud as a backup destination to have a copy off site. Unless you have a data need for a 4 bay (or larger) NAS, I would stick to a nice 2 bay NAS, which would give you raid 1 mirroring, data scrubs, etc. I have a Synology DS220+ that I love. The only downside to it is it only has 1 gigabit ethernet.

I guess it all depends on what you mean by more redundancy. One thing to consider is that RAID is not a backup, so having a raid array isn't going to safeguard your data in the same way as a good back up strategy would. RAID is more for preventing down time in the case of a disk failure. I am not sure buying a 4 bay NAS will actually get you any additional uptime since the boot drive in your UMAX N10 is not redundant.

If by redundant you mean having a sound backup strategy, then you could do that a couple of different ways. A second NAS would definitely help. In that case, you could get a larger NAS as your primary data store and back up that NAS to the DS120J (assuming you put a larger drive in your DS120J). You could also use the cloud as a backup destination to have a copy off site. Unless you have a data need for a 4 bay (or larger) NAS, I would stick to a nice 2 bay NAS, which would give you raid 1 mirroring, data scrubs, etc. I have a Synology DS220+ that I love. The only downside to it is it only has 1 gigabit ethernet.
I'm glad I stumbled across your reply.

Synology DS918+
DSM version: DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 6
INTEL Celeron J3455
4 CPU cores @ 1.5 GHz, 4 GB of memory
I have Portainer/Docker running a few things; Home Assistant, etc.

What approach did you use to load Proxmox VE on your Synology?

Reactions: louie1961

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!