What procedure might have re-initialized Proxmox folders on NFS share?

MarioG

Sep 29, 2023
I am testing ProxMox as a Vmware replacement. I have been testing recovery approaches like backing up /etc/pve and doing a disk image, and then testing scenarios like doing an upgrade, then attempting to rollback or purposely destroying a Proxmox boot disk. I am using a single disk for the Proxmox boot, a separate SATA SSD disk for VMs, and an NFS share as well, Other than having to manually import ZFS pools with the /etc/pve install, things have been pretty seamless.

Then, at some point I realized that my NFS share had been re-initialized. Previously, I had several Proxmox Backup/Dumps from a VM I actually used, as well as some test virtual disks, ISO images, and so on (images, private, snippets, template, and dump folders). Today when trying to restart a test VM it failed because the VM had a virtual disk on the NFS share. That's when I realized the Proxmox folders on the NFS had been re-created and were empty (all folders dated the day of my testing, and empty).

I did a lot of testing, but I would never intentionally wipe out the Proxmox folders on the NFS share (images, private, snippets, template, and dump folders), and I wouldn't expect Proxmox to wipe it out either.

For the record, my OCD downloaded the few real backups from the NFS share, so they are safe on my local system, but they disappeared from the NFS share I have used for years.

I know it's a vague question, because I'm not sure at what part in my variety of rebuild testing it occurred, but what Proxmox procedure would lead to a re-creation of the Proxmox folders on an NFS share?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!