What network monitor system do you use?

yatesco

Sep 25, 2009
Which network monitoring solution do you use to monitor your hosts and virtual machines?

Nagios, Zenoss, Groundworks etc.?

I am looking for something really simple - I don't care about geographical maps, I just want something that will inform me if things like the CPU, proc count, memory, heat, IO etc. exceed a threshold. Also service availability (i.e. is service X available)

Performance/historical graphs would be nice as well.

I have used nagios before which did everything I want, but it was quite fiddly getting everything to work.

Also, I notice monitoring is on the 2.0 roadmap, are there any details on that yet? Any juicy carrots/screenshots/screen sketches you can share :)?

Thanks, as always

Hi,
i use nagios - since a while.
For a new installation i would take the fork icinga.
Perhaps not so easy for beginning, but very powerfull. And don't underrate graphs - some problems can be found with this (or to find out if it's usefull to switch to 10Gig etc.)

Udo

Just to reply to an old thread I started - I have actually gotten into zabbix. It is really very nice - it gives you *loads* of out of the box reporting without you having to do anything. It is very open and extensible, but comes pre-configured with lots of very nice templates.

Autodiscovery is also very nice - I just create a new Linux machine, install the zabbix agent and then within minutes I can view graphs of whatever I want - memory, disk space, swap, processes, apache, mysql, postgres, ethX performance etc.

For those that care, you can also configure it to monitor your JVM via JMX.

(Despite sounding like a fanboy - I AM!, I am not affiliated with them in anyway).

Another nice GUI on top of nagios is http://fannagioscd.sourceforge.net/ (FAN). Again, takes a while to set up but the ability to create graphs is very nice - just tick the metrics you want to see in your hierarchy of services.

Hi,
just to throw in my two cents: zabbix! Why? Zabbix rocks, it's open, stable and well supported by an growing community around the world, based on the work and experience of a company behind.

I would like to see deep integration with zabbix in the upcomming v2.0 of proxmox or at least a simple e.g. shared-memory interface for all vital data to be monitored.

BTW: sorry to be so late in replying to this thread ...

i use opsview , that is a frontend for nagios, but makes it so easy to work with.

I use Zabbix.
It enables me to write extensions on the clients using bash or perl.
Even my router is running zabbix (dd-wrt)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!