What is the benefit of clustering with proxmox

yosemi

Aug 6, 2017
I have 3x Intel NUC.
It was use to host VMs on windows hyper-v but it is very slow , each of them is only able to host 4 VM currently before it start to get unusable

I came to know proxmox on the internet and alternative for Esxi

specs:
each of the NUC are equiped with 256nvme ssd , 1TB harddrive and 16Gb of memory.

If I were to cluster 3 of them together can I utilize them to host 12 VM or more , I assume clustering here mean combining the computing power/core together to run as a single node ?

If I were to cluster 3 of them together can I utilize them to host 12 VM or more , I assume clustering here mean combining the computing power/core together to run as a single node ?
no, clustering means you can manage all 3 hosts from 1 webinterface and manage vms of all nodes.

I have 3x Intel NUC.
which ones? AFAIK there are nucs with celeron chips as well as i7s

each of the NUC are equiped with 256nvme ssd , 1TB harddrive and 16Gb of memory.
this looks good enough, but depending on how much memory you want to give the guests, 16gb can be too little

no, clustering means you can manage all 3 hosts from 1 webinterface and manage vms of all nodes.

which ones? AFAIK there are nucs with celeron chips as well as i7s

this looks good enough, but depending on how much memory you want to give the guests, 16gb can be too little

So in the case u explained above I still only able to host (example 4 vm on each NUC) but managed to all 3 host from 1 webinterfdace and manage all the 12vm?

the intel nuc unit I have got is
Intel 4th Gen Core i5-4250U

Exactly. Up to 12 VMs, depending on their computation and memory needs, managed via the web interface of any of the NUCs. With 1.3GHz base clock and 2.6GHz turbo and 4GiB RAM the VMs won't be terribly powerful, but sufficient for office work or several servers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!